PD4 keeps "sharing" Mac Partitions

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by epirali, Dec 9, 2008.

1. epirali

epirali Member

I have turned off all sharing options, except for two specific folders. But when Smart Mount is enabled PD4 keeps mounting my Mac partitions as windows drive letters.

What am I missing? Or is this a bug?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Smart mount intended to do so, mount all Mac Disks plus newly attached

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Smart Mount (or Drag n' Drop) is(are) not supposed to enable Shared Folders, but this unintended behaviour seems to be happening.

4. epirali

epirali Member

These are not newly mounted, but partitions already mounted. And also it really should NOT be "mounting" Mac partitions, that is more sharing. unfortunately turning this off prevents some USB devices that are dynamically programmed in windows (with drivers) to stop working. So I'd say this is a bug. PD3 did not have this issue.

5. John@Parallels

I suppose screenshot for Share Folder node will be helpfull over here

6. epirali

epirali Member

At this point I have reverted to PD3, as PD4 was getting in the way too much.

7. otoc

otoc Member

Could you specify exactly what you would wish to see? I have the same problem with PD4 that I've mentioned in other posts. Shared applications come up in the shared folder even when PD4 is not set up to so.

Hopefully we are all talking about the same issue.

I know I had hit the sharing in a drag and drop by mistake in the past. Afterwards I went into settings, changed it. Removed and reinstalled Tools.

Here are screen captures that show what I see in the shared folder and how all my various settings are showing up...

Attached Files:

8. John@Parallels

Case is a bit different, in first case it is Smart Mount , in the your case,
    I suppose you need to delete folder C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\main Menu\Programs\Parallels Shared Applications

9. otoc

otoc Member

Thanks John

Actually it was installed at C:\Documents and Settings\otoc\Start Menu\Programs

After the folder was deleted, it no longer showed up in the Program list. That's the good news.

The bad news is after a restart of Win XP, the Shared Applications Folder showed up again with one program listed.

Please see attached file. For the record, Gimp has not been used for months.

Any other places to look, such as preference files or other config settings? There's been no change to the Parralels BC VM settings since the last screen captures.

Attached Files:

10. John@Parallels

In one thread I saw the message, that enabling Shared Applications, restart VM, disabling it from Configure helped,
    If not Please submit report from Parallels Desktop - Help menu -selecting Report a Problem, and post here report ID

11. otoc

otoc Member

Thanks again for the time John.

What I did in the meantime was repeat the process of deleting the folder.

Based on several restarts it seems fine now. No more Shared folder in the Program List in Windows.

Nothing more was done other than a second delete of that folder in the */Start Menu. No need to toggle the Shared Applications setting it seems.

Not only that, it seems to have taken care of drag and drop error message at the same time. Perhaps an alias issue from the unmapped folder? I'll update that thread after trying out your latest suggestion made there.

12. otoc

otoc Member

lol, I spoke too fast.

While the deleted "Shared Applications" folder never showed up on repeated reboots of the BC VM, I did come across another way for it to come back with more applications unrelated to anything I did.

In this case, I right clicked on an image file I was preparing for a post and got the "Open with" menu selection. I selected a MAC app as shown in file 14. An HP app was selected and opened.

Afterwards, just out of a gut feeling, I checked the "Shared Applications" folder, file 15.

Once again it shows, and the settings for the BC VM are still showing up as having no sharing enabled. Not to mention I never selected anything that is now showing up in the folder that just won't go away.

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
  13. John@Parallels

Well, I suppose it is time for ticket

14. otoc

otoc Member

Thanks, will do. I appreciate the time you spent.