Xp wants drivers for video controler and pci bridge

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hellomrzebra415, Jun 16, 2006.

1. hellomrzebra415

hellomrzebra415 Bit poster

Everytime i launch xp it wants to install new hard ware. A Video Controller and a PCI bridge, but it can never find the drivers.

Any ideas??

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did you install latest Parallels Tools?

3. hellomrzebra415

hellomrzebra415 Bit poster

May not have where would i find them?

4. Marko

Marko Member

When you are runing Windows... you have to be in windows mode (not full screen)
    Goto Parallels Menu VM, select "Install Parallels Tools"

This will upgrade the Tools (or install it if it has not been installed before)

This will install Video, Mouse, Network and Other Drivers that will improve the VM performance as well as other tools like Clipboard syncronisation etc.

5. Bart Voorzanger

Bart Voorzanger Bit poster

I'm trying to install Windows 98SE under Parallels Desktop on my MacBookPro, using a 98SEBoot.fdd image file to boot from (after trying several DOS image files with the same sorry outcome). Everyting seems to run fine untill the umpteenth restart, with the windows desktop promisingly visible in the background.

Then my virtual machine starts nagging me about inserting the windows install CD, which is there (I've tried using the actual CD, an .iso image of that CD, and finally even both at the same time), but is apparently nog recognized (or doesn't contain what it is supposed to contain, or isn't in the right drive). So then there is an endless series of things it cannot find and hence cannot install; I keep clicking "forget" or "skip" or whatever the name of that button is, to make it go on.

Finally it restarts again and I get a series of error messages saying that things like "vnetbios.vxd", "vredir.vxd", "dfs.vxd" aren't there and telling me to hit any key to proceed, after which Windows Networking tells me that it is "Unable to load the dynamic link library msnp32.dll" because "The system cannot find the file specified" and that "Some or all of the following feature is not available: Microsoft Network". All I can do is click OK.

What I'm left with is sort of working windows machine, but no networking, and heaven knows what else is missing that I might need. I have been using Virtual PC and then Real PC on other machines for a long time now, and never had this sort of problems.

Well, I thought, maybe it helps to install the parallels tools. So I log out and log in again, just to make sure I am logged in, and choose "Install Parallels Tools" from the "VM" menu. Nothing happens, at least not for the time I'm willing to wait ...

I've been through this whole thing a couple of times now, both with the last stable and the last beta of Parallels Desktop for the Mac, and I'm getting really desperate.

Would it be possible for the Parallels Team to write a good, foolproof set of instructions for installing Windows 98SE (and other varieties as well)? I'd be most obliged. :)

Or should we conclude that Parallels, for which I duly paid, just isn't ready to be released yet?

Bart