Accessing Parallels files on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ignoramus, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Hi all,

I am a first-time poster and complete ignoramus (hence the name), when it comes to computers, so any help is much appreciated!

I have had Parallels set up on my Mac OX X Tiger by a kind friend who is a Windows expert. He set up a shortcut for me so I can access my Mac files from my Parallels desktop. Getting adventurous, I would now like to set up a shortcut from my Parallels desktop to my Mac, so I can use my favourite photo managing program, which is a Windows program. My kind friend does not know how to do this. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!
    ignoramus

2. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

in the vm configuration screen you can set parallels to map your mac's local folders to your windows folders, so your mac's documents folder would appear as your window's documents folder, or pictures folder, etc.

start parallels without turning on the virtual machine. click "Virtual Machine" -> "Configure" and select the item called "Shared Profile" on the right-hand side of the window enable "Shared Profile" and select "Pictures to My Pictures in Windows"

(these instructions are for parallels 4.0, but is similar for 3.0)

once you start your windows instance, you should see your mac's photos in your window's my pictures folder.

you can do the same for documents, music and desktop folders as well.

Attached Files:

3. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hi, ignoramus,

The advise from tonycarreon will help you to see the files from Windows documents when on Mac. But It will not allow you to open Mac files with Windows picture editor or any other program.

For this purpose you need to set up special Parallels Desktop "Shared Applications".

The procedure is quite simple:

First, you should configure the Shared Applications settings in Virtual Machine Configuration -
    select Share Windows application with Mac OS X to allow using Windows applications for opening the files in Mac OS X.
    The detailed instructions are given here:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22690.htm

Having done as described, please, follow Parallels Knowledgebase article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5690

and enjoy the result.

NOTE: the virtual machine should be running to launch the application which you prefer to open this or that file. Otherwise it will be started automatically if you double-click on file to be opened with Windows program

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  4. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Thank you for your help, DaTa. It gives me hope! But not the time yet, to try it. I shall let you know how it goes.

ignoramus

5. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Ignorant question no. 2;

How do I start Parallels without turning on the virtual machine? I can't get into the configuration side with the virtual machine running.

6. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Double-click Parallels Desktop icon holding Command key

7. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Ig. Question 3:

How do I find the virtual machine once I have done that? A window with various folders opens up, none of which say virtual machine.

Thanks.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Its pvm bundle - bundle is folder which is showing like file
    Default locations

~/Documents/Parallels
    ~/Library/Parallels
    ~ = means your username folder

Mac HD- Users - Shared -Parallels

9. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Thanks, John@Parallels,

I was not very clear. There are nine folders that come up when I press command and double-click on the Parallels icon. They are:

~'s PC Machine.pvs
    unattended.fdd
    Windows Applications
    Windows Disks
    Winvista.hdd
    ~'s PC Machine.mem
    ~'s PC Machine.sav
    Snapshots
    Snapshots.xml

Which of these do I open or what do I do?

Thanks again.

10. John@Parallels

It is all - one Virtual machine, data and configurations files,
    Windows data in on Winvista.hdd

11. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Thank you John@Parallels, that has cleared that up.

Back to my original question. Once I have opened the Virtual Machine, with all its folders and files, without running it, where do I find the Virtual Machine Configuration? Remember I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to computers, please understand.

Thanks

12. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Which is the pvm bundle? Is this where the Virtual Machine Configuration is?

13. John@Parallels

Please do not take any operations, on file unless requested by support
    config.pvs is configuration file but it should be managed through GUI, not directly, click Configure and you have it..
    Bundle hides low level implementation, - in short - it is folder wrapped with special action

14. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

There is no Configure button anywhere that I can see, when I double-click on the Parallels icon while pressing the Command key. The bar across the top remains in Finder. This is why I am asking. Where is the Configuration button when you open Parallels without turning on the Virtual Machine, as required if I am to set up Shared Applications?

15. John@Parallels

if you see Parallels Desktop menu- click Window - Virtual Directory, you will see your VM,click it holding Command key and you will see VM Window

16. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

I am beginning to feel stupid, even though I hold down a professional job with a degree of competence. I have not even begun to be able to follow DaTa's instructions yet. There is no Parallels menu. The bar at the top is a Finder one. I cannot right-click on anything to find a menu. How do I find the menu, in order to find the Virtual Machine Configuration without turning the Virtual Machine on???

17. John@Parallels

Please click on Parallels Desktop icon in Dock, and menu should be changed to Parallels Desktop menu
    When in Parallels menu, click Windows Virtual machine directories
    Click your VM, VM window will appear.

18. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I am back after enjoying a summer break; I hope you had a break too, John@Parallels.

Thank you for your advice so far but I am still no closer to accessing my Parallels files on my Mac. I am unable to find the Parallels desktop menu. If I click on the Parallels desktop it opens and starts running; I cannot adjust the Virtual Machine configuration in this mode, even if I can see the menu bar across the top of the screen. If I double-click on it, with the command button running, a window opens containing the folders mentioned above, but there is no menu bar that I can see anywhere. The bar across the top of the machine is the Finder one.

Your advice please.

19. John@Parallels

20. ignoramus

ignoramus Junior Member

Thank you John@Parallels, I have done so.