HELP! Help! Bought a License and it does not accept it

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aesenior, Jun 20, 2006.

1. aesenior

aesenior Bit poster

I downloaded a 30 day trial and spent several hours installing Win XP Pro and updating it to SP2.

Now after being convinced bought the software license.

When I try to "activate" it on the trial is giving me an error. PLEASE DONT TELL ME I HAVE TO REINSTALL IT AGAIN!!:confused:

Please provide a phone so i can call you and fix the problem.

2. tech_head

tech_head Member

Bought a Lic.

You should not have to re-install the VM.
    The Parallels software possibly, but I think all you need to do is go to the help menu and select activate. THen put in your new key. You need to be running the released version because pre-release versions hav e a different key.

The VM and XP install are the same. No change.

tech

3. aesenior

aesenior Bit poster

Than you tech_head - but you have not answered my questions

Than you tech_head - but you have not answered my questions. I am assuming because of your id that you work for Parallels.:confused:

Can you please explain in detail what I need to do?

The email I received from Parallels is not very obvious and I am an adanced user of computers.:eek:

Thanks!

4. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

Bad assumption. I don't have any connection. I'm a customer.
    First is your software the released version???
    If yes, then you will need to go to the help menu after you have started Parallels and before you start the Virtual machine.

Then you will select the activate menu item and give your ID and authorization code.

tech

5. aesenior

aesenior Bit poster

Thanks for your answer.

The initial installation (I believe is NOT) the released version, but I am not sure. I am doing what you are suggesting and get the follwing error: "The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop!"

When I do what you suggest there is a note that says the following: "License Status:
    You are using a trial time-limited copy of Parallels Desktop. To ensure continuous use of the product after the trial period expires, please purchase a permanent activation key at any time during your trial."

I bought the license but the license is not being accepted.

HELP is greatky appreciated!

6. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

You need to download and install the latest release version of Parallels. Once installed you need to use your purchased activation key. Your purchased key will not work with a beta or release candidate version of Parallels and a beta key will not work with the GA version of Parallels.

You DON'T need to recreate your virtual machines or reinstall Windows. The new version will be able to use your existing virtual machines.

Enjoy,
    Rick

7. CoreDuo

CoreDuo Bit poster

Believe it or not...I have no "Help" Button to activate!

I can't believe I'm having to post this, but at this point I am beyond frustrated. I have a Mac Mini Intel Core Duo. I downloaded and installed the trial Parallels. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell which version this is, though at no time was this noted as being Beta in any way. I installed XP and everything was working perfectly (except Direct3D, which is another whole issue, which you may choose to help with as well).

Whenever I start Parallels now, it won't let me start XP. It requires me to activate by going into "Help' and then pressing "Activate". I bought the registration key for $50 and have it ready. Problem is, I have no "Help" button or menu or tab or anything else. I've tried everything. If I press one of the four buttons at the bottom, the "Help' button there jsut opens a Safari window containing information about that specific topic. Additionally, the "Full Screen", "Properties", and "Console View" buttons to the right are "greyed out" and unavailable.

Parallels' support for this has been nonexistent. I tried calling two different phone numbers, but got amateur-sounding voicemails instead of help.

I've already downloaded another copy of Parallels and tried reinstalling it, but the same no-Help situation remains. Am I being utterly dense and missing something painfully obvious, or what?

Many thanks in advance!

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

1) Start Parallels. Immediately go to the very top menu bar and click the title (just to the right of the little apple). Click "About". read the version number (and other useful info).

2) Direct 3D is not supported in the current release.

After looking at the "About" info, on the same menu bar, click Help (the last entry, right after "Devices", and select "Activate Product" from the drop down.

Mmmmm... Maybe or what.

9. CoreDuo

CoreDuo Bit poster

Joem,
    Ok, I'm not stupid, just very unfamiliar with the OS X interface. :) I would never have looked at the top program bar without your help. I can't believe that didn't occur to me, but this is really important because it's my Mom's computer and she really needs Parallels to run a very important Windows-only program. Thanks a million.

I have Build 1848, which I think is the newest available. Any word on when Direct3D might be supported?

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

I have no idea when 3D graphics will be supported, if ever. It's a daunting technical problem in a virtual environment. Intel may provide hardware graphics virtualization help in the future, whence the problem will become much more tractable. Of course, in that case, new hardware will be requireds to take advantage of the, well, new hardware.