Shift or Space keys dont work in Counter-Strike

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ebaydan777, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ebaydan777

ebaydan777 Bit poster

How come my shift or space keys dont work in video games like counter-strike, any work-around for it for they keyboard or?

also when i play counter-strike: source the game glitches during grenades etc....is this the gfx card?
    im playing on a 24" 2.4Ghz intel and 2gb ram, mid-2007 imac (newer model) with ATI,RadeonHD2600 (256mb)

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please check key mapping inside game and in parallels Desktop -Preferences -keyboard

3. ebaydan777

ebaydan777 Bit poster

Ok I set the keys in the game ex: shift is to duck and cntrl is to walk..
    What I'm confused about is how to make those keys work in parallels and in the game??

*sorry the title says shift and space but its shift and control

4. Drennyn

Drennyn Bit poster

There's more to it than that

Shift/Alt/Option sorta "work" for me, but they don't work well in games.

The game only responds when these keys are RELEASED, not when they are pressed. This seems to be new behavior in Parallels 4.

The XP virtual machine I'm running on was upgraded from Parallels 3.0...could this have any effect?

5. ebaydan777

ebaydan777 Bit poster

i changed the keys so that "duck" is the shift key, and "walk" is control (just commands in the game), and i changed this IN the game

how do i make those keys work through parallels cause im confused on it?

P.S. I MEANT SHIFT AND CONTROL ARENT WORKING IN THE GAME NOT SHIFT AND SPACE!

6. Drennyn

Drennyn Bit poster

This is buggy behavior

To confirm...I created a brand new XP machine in Parallels 4, and this strange behavior is still present.

Shift, Control and Alt/Option are only detected in a game when those keys are released...meaning when your finger lifts off the key. They are completely ignored in a game when they are pressed.

This makes it impossible to bind things like "walk" to one of these keys, cause the game never thinks you're holding the key down. When you let go, you'll sometimes get a tiny bit of action which then stops, since you're not pressing a key anymore.

I've tried changing the Keyboard & Mouse Preferences*in Parallels and modifying the profile used in my virtual machine, but nothing seems to work. I've even tried using the Generic profile and unchecked the Virtual Machine Shortcuts checkbox in that profile...that doesn't help either.

How am I supposed to bind actions like fire/walk/use if the game never detects the key when I press it, but only after I release it?

This is happening to all games I've tried using any of the three above mentioned keys. Obviously this does not occur while running Windows directly.

7. John@Parallels

I spent today 3 hours, playing CS-1.5, Ghost Recoon, trying to reproduce situation
    Shift - duck, CTRL - walk
    I am not able to reproduce situation
    Only thing I can think now is changed settings for Parallels Desktop - Preferences- keyboard,.

Please click Restore Default there, and reinstall Parallels Tools

8. Drennyn

Drennyn Bit poster

More Information

Resetting keyboard preferences did not help. Reinstalling Parallels Tools did not help.

I did, however, find a workaround. I discovered that if I connect my USB keyboard to the virtual machine, everything works. I have to click ok the USB icon in the virtual machine window status bar, and choose "Apple Extended USB Keyboard. Then I click "Yes", when prompted to confirm.

I'm curious now though, when you say you played Counter Strike for a few hours, is your keyboard connected to the virtual machine (meaning, not connected to your Mac anymore)?

9. John@Parallels

I didn't attach keyboard to Vm, actually I played on MBP in full screen with PodBot installed, and Ghost Ricoon, just actions, mouse only external was used, not connected to VM, may be you are using Logitech mouse?

10. Drennyn

Drennyn Bit poster

I am indeed using an external Logitech mouse on my iMac (not connected to VM). What's that got to do with the strange keyboard behavior? The two mouse buttons and the scroll wheel all work fine.

For the record, this keyboard issue doesn't just occur in games, it happens in all software. For instance, if you get properties on a Windows shortcut, you can assign a "shortcut key" to it. In the Shortcut key text box field, the alt/control/shift keys are not detected when pressed. When I release any one of them, the shortcut key text box flashes the name of the key I released, and is then left with the default value of "None" in it.

You say you have no problems on a Macbook Pro...could it be that I'm using an external Apple USB keyboard on my iMac? That'd be strange if it was.

To confirm, you do NOT have the keyboard connected to the VM, and in any games that you've played, if you assign either Shift, Control or Option to an action in the game, that action occurs as soon as you press the corresponding key? So, you can assign "Fire" to Option or "Run" to Shift, and you can hold down the option key to continuously fire your weapon, and hold down shift to continuously run? I can not get that same (correct) behavior unless I attach my keyboard to the VM.

This sounds like a bug to me. What else can you tell me? What do we do from here? What's using a Logitech mouse got to do with it?

11. John@Parallels

To confirm, you do NOT have the keyboard connected to the VM, and in any games that you've played, if you assign either Shift, Control or Option to an action in the game, that action occurs as soon as you press the corresponding key?
    Yes

So, you can assign "Fire" to Option or "Run" to Shift, and you can hold down the option key to continuously fire your weapon, and hold down shift to continuously run?
    Yes, I use MBP with built in keyboard, probably it was the longest game session after University

Hm, ok, please create ticket in support and let us check what we can do

12. Pete Keleher

Pete Keleher Bit poster

Was this problem ever resolved?

I just upgraded a 3.0 xp virtual machine to 4.0 and Far Cry works well, w/ the exception of the control and shift keys. It appears that when I release the control key a little bob occurs, but I definitely don't get a full crouch.

??

13. Paul D

Paul D Junior Member

It has not been solved. Support has offered to watch as I share my desktop and walk them through the issue so they can see it first hand. Apparently, they can't reproduce it and want to see it on someone else's machine.

I don't have a "strange" setup...just an iMac with an Apple external keyboard.

14. eric wyatt

eric wyatt Bit poster

shift and alt not working

I have the same problem with ghost recon and nwn2. They worked find in version 3.0 but not version 4.0. I'm supposed to reinstall my parallels tools. we'll see if it works but I'm doubtful after reading this thread.

15. eric wyatt

eric wyatt Bit poster

They haven't helped me either. same problem. shift and control don't stay on

16. Seb Sib

Seb Sib Bit poster

Same here

Unibody Silver MacBook, 2.4GHz/4GB Ram
    Microsoft Digitial Media 1.0A with Microsoft Mouse Optical 1.1A USB
    WinXP SP3

When connected through OSX I have the same problems with Shift and Ctrl. Everything else seems to be working ok
    If I connect to virtual machine, I can't play at all. If I press forward, he doesn't react. If I press two buttons (like forward and strafe left) he starts moving, but then doesn't stop anymore, only can change the movement direction).

17. Paul Bensel

Paul Bensel Bit poster

I strongly suspect this is a DirectX issue. Last I checked, Parallels does DX9.0 (but not 9.0c).

I've run into this same problem, though it took me a little while to diagnose it. Since I knew that P4.0 didn't do dx9c I haven't been trying any of my more recent games on it, and been using bootcamp instead.

Tonight, on a whim, I tried running "Lord of the Rings Online" inside my bootcamp run via Parallels 4.0 (as opposed to rebooting it). Much to my surprise, it ran. However, I couldn't use shift, control, or alt, in the game (the game controls require holding the keys down for some commandbars to show). When I released the key, I'd see the associated bar appear then disappear. Until I saw this post on a random thread, I had no idea what was happening, only that the game was unplayable.

Since I was using the same partition, only varying access from rebooting into BootCamp to running Parallels 4 to bring up my bootcamp partition, it more or less has to come down to drivers. And, again, I'm nearly certain it's going to be DX9 vs. DX9.0c support (I'd assume the DirectInput part of the suite, not DirectDraw or the graphics parts).

Hopefully this'll help... and hopefully we'll see a DX9.0c compliant Parallels soon... since we'll be shuffled onto Windows 7 and DX11 soon enough. :/
    --
    Paul

18. Paul Bensel

Paul Bensel Bit poster

There is another related post with holding shift/ctrl down in apps. Parallels dev suggested removing the keyboard driver and allowing Windows to reinstall it.

19. Paul D

Paul D Junior Member

"it more or less has to come down to drivers. And, again, I'm nearly certain it's going to be DX9 vs. DX9.0c support (I'd assume the DirectInput part of the suite, not DirectDraw or the graphics parts)."

Except this same behavior occurs in ALL software, DirectX and normal Win32...not just games for me.

Reinstalling the keyboard driver as suggested by another thread did not help either...although after I tried, I found the original thread making that suggestion and it said DO NOT TOUCH THE KEYBOARD while reinstalling the drivers for it.

I can't honestly say I didn't accidentally use the keyboard while trying this so I'll try it again, this time w/the keyboard unplugged.

20. Paul D

Paul D Junior Member

Reinstalling the driver didn't make any difference even if I made sure to "never touch the keyboard" while performing the driver update/reinstall.