"Shut Down" button

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nandor, Nov 17, 2008.

1. nandor

nandor Junior Member

Has anyone else tried to use the blue "shut down" button in Parallels 4.0 (Mac OS X 10.5.5, Windows XP)? I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 4.0 today, and the blue "shut down" button behaves exactly the same way the red "stop" button does. On the other hand the blue "restart" button resets my virtual PC running XP, just as one would expect from a "restart" button.

So I believe there should be 8 buttons:

1) Start - self explanatory; works properly
    2) Safe Mode -self explanatory; works properly
    3) Suspend - saves current XP state and pauses computer; works properly
    4) Pause - just sort of pauses things and frees up resources; works properly
    5) Shut Down - as if one selects in the Start Menu Start->Shut Down???, but it functions as "Stop" below??
    6) Stop - as if one pushed the power button on a PC and turned it off without shutting down; works properly
    7) Restart - as if one selects in the Start Menu Start->Restart; works properly
    8) Reset - basically the same as "Stop" above, except the computer then restarts; works properly

Can anyone else replicate this behavior? Anyone have any solutions?

2. nandor

nandor Junior Member

Can anyone even replicate this behavior on their own machine, or is it an isolated problem with only my computer?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Shut Down button
    If you click once and OS supports ACPI, it will receive shutdown signal (if it hasn't been hung)
    Second click is plug off power cord from PC

4. nandor

nandor Junior Member

Thank you for the reply - though I'm not sure whether you mean the guest or host ACPI needs to support ACPI. But in addition: how can one tell if one's computer supports ACPI? I am running Leopard 10.5 as the host OS and XP as the guest OS. Are there settings I should look for?

Thanks.

5. John@Parallels

It is not for Mac, it is for Virtual machine, usually Windows OSes since Windows 2000 does

6. nandor

nandor Junior Member

Hmm. Interesting. When looking at Device Manager in the guest XP OS, the only option I have under "computer" is "Standard PC," and the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)" setting/option is not there. Is there a way to install it? Since the only thing I've ever installed on the Mac that has to do with PCs is the XP that came bundled with Parallels, I'm assuming that Parallels has chosen to only use "Standard PC"? Basically, for "Standard PC," in the PowerOptions/Advanced pane, there is not "what to do when the power button is pressed" option.

7. John@Parallels

Check under System Devices in Device Manager
    And Parallels Tools should be installed

8. nandor

nandor Junior Member

Not there....

Hello, John, and thank you for responding so quickly.

As you can see from the attached picture, the only computer listed is "Standard PC," and any ACPI option is not there. Any hints on getting this installed? As I mentioned in a "quick reply," the only XP I've ever installed is the one I purchased that was bundled with Parallels, and Parallels is the only way I use the PC (no bootcamp, for instance).

Thanks.

Attached Files:

9. John@Parallels

Please expand System Devices node

10. nandor

nandor Junior Member

System Devices...

Here it is - thanks for working on this.

Attached Files:

11. John@Parallels

Well, let us see,
    If you have SP3 installed?
    uninstall kaspersky
    uninstall SP3
    install SP3 back, and Kaspersky

back up Vm first