Please Help! Parallels 4.0 & Java

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by magikmanpro, Dec 4, 2008.

1. magikmanpro

magikmanpro Member

During the Parallels 3 development, a video bug was introduced that caused two primary issues with Java:

1. Scrolling up in Java applets results in a visual mess (repeated rows, stretched rows, etc.).
    2. The background of png images (interface buttons, icons, etc.) are black.

Another discussion thread titled "Scrolling in java applications on 5160" addressed this topic, and within this thread Parallels staff mentioned that a fix would be a part of Parallels 4.

I immediately upgraded to Parallels 4 upon release, and I can confirm that the above bugs are still present. To ensure I wasn't bringing forward any old drivers or software, I built a new VM from scratch, and the issue still exists.

I work extensively with Java applications, including giving demos to executives and providing training to classrooms of managers. I simply cannot continue to compromise my business for the sake of Parallels.

I would very much like a response from Parallels on whether the source of this issue is known, and whether a fix is in the works. I have been a user for more than 2 years, and would prefer to remain a user.

Thank you,

Daniel Perez

2. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

3. magikmanpro

magikmanpro Member

Incident 18879

I have previously created a report through the tool with an ID of 18879. Please let me know if I should create another report through the link provided.

-Dan

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please mention applications you are testing, and build , as far as I remember application was to add some rows
    if possible application please

5. magikmanpro

magikmanpro Member

Scrolling in Java Apps

Specifically, I am using Primavera P6 Web Access 6.2.

However, this is a general issue with Java applets/applications. You can view examples of the behavior by trying sample scrolling apps at this site:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/examples/components/index.html

This is not an application issue, this is a Parallels video driver issue, as previously identified by yourself in another thread. If you disable hardware acceleration in Parallels, the issue goes away.

-Dan

6. John@Parallels

I am unable to reproduce situation, but any way I submitted case to developers

7. magikmanpro

magikmanpro Member

Confirm Scrolling without Issues

I am very interested in your results. Can you verify that you can successfully scroll up in a java applet without graphical glitches?

On this page:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/examples/components/index.html

"Launch" ScrollDemo. Then, scroll up and down using the controls.

Doing this in Parallels 3 & 4 will cause a graphical mess during the "up" scroll on my machine (and confirmed by others).

As previously stated, disabling DirectX acceleration will prevent this issue, but also slows the graphics.

What I would like is fully accelerated fully functional java graphics. I know where I can get this, and I hope that Parallels can provide it as well.

-Dan Perez

8. John@Parallels

In 3 it was, in 4 I am not able , as I get any news in case, or remind me in Monday