Windows XP Will Not Shut Down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by wycliffe, Nov 13, 2008.

1. wycliffe

wycliffe Member

I have had this problem in both PD3 and the newly installed PD4 - XP will not shut down - I either have to stop the VM or force quit. Not sure what is happening but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

I am running on MBP 17" with 4 MB of RAM.

2. fbaldeva

fbaldeva Junior Member

Wycliffe,

I am experiencing the same issue. It is not consistent, however as I have another XP session running.

3. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Wycliffe, Fbaldeva,

The issue can be caused either by some application, holding Windows or some device. Please, try the following:

* Close all applications and all antivirus programs before shutdown.

* Remove Floppy from the current virtual machine configuration.

* Remove a USB Controller from the current virtual machine configuration. (It is probably a USB controller malfunction).

4. fbaldeva

fbaldeva Junior Member

I was looking through the different posts regarding this issue. I did try disabling bot McAfee Anti-Virus and The Floppy Drive. It still did not shut down. Another suggestion that worked for someone else was to uninstall then re-install Parallels Tools. I was able to uninstall the tools but am having problems re-installing it.

Parallels Tools fails at "Installing Parallels Shared Folders driver..." The error is: Failed to install Parallels Shared Folders Driver.
    When I click OK, I get the error: Failed to uninstall Parallels Shared Folders Drive. The install then rolls back and tells me: An error occured while installing Parallels Tools. Click OK to restart your virtual machine, and then try to install Parallels Tools again.
    When I click OK the Virtual Machine reboots and I'm back to where Windows wants to install its drivers.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please create ticket in support , we will provide you instructions