Ubuntu 8.04 networking gone after 4.0 update

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by cliffom, Nov 13, 2008.

1. cliffom

cliffom Bit poster

I had zero issues converting my ubuntu 8.04 server vm from 3.0 to 4.0, however when I start up shared networking is not working.

The output of ifconfig only lists the 'lo' interface. I have also attached a screengrab of the output of dhclient eth0.

Attached Files:

2. cliffom

cliffom Bit poster

Nevemind, I checked the output of dmesg and saw that eth0 was renamed to eth1. No idea why this happened.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

This is due to change of MAC-address of the VM-adapter. If open the VM configuration and change MAC Address of the VM Network Adapter one more time, iface name will become eth2

But until MAC is changed, eth1 will be same eth1. If you remember your old MAC address you can enter it in the VM configuration and card will be again eth0

There is some way to reset the numbering of units back again, but I can't say how at the moment..

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

The eth0 was renamed to eth1 due to change of Network Adapter MAC-address. If you know your previous MAC, you can edit VM configuration and set NetworkAdapter to use old MAC. This should make network interface be eth0 back.

The change of MAC address could occur while converting VM from 3.0 to 4.0 on build 3522 (there should not be such behaviour on build 3540)

The behaviour
    ifup eth1 returns "Ignoring unknown interface ...."
    seems logical, since afaik there are scripts like ifup-eth0/ifdown-eth0, which are created while configuring system. So ifup eth1 cann't find the script ifup-eth1 and barks.

Interface may be started manually. Probably, by command "sudo /sbin/dhclient eth1"...

So, either eth1 need to be configured somehow (using some your linux distro utility), or MAC address should be changed to the previous address (which will make it back eth0)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Erlic
    Please check PM

8. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

9. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

To graham@capgo.com:

By PM John meant Private Message box. As it was addressed to Elric, I think we should not take it into consideration. So, there is nothing to do with Power management )

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

graham@capgo.com
    This is problem with all Debian based distro, in all virtualization software we are going to investigate it

11. Forgiven

Forgiven Member