Better Time Machine integration

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Olivier, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

With PD4 we can turn off Time Machine backup of a VM.
    It would be much better to have the option to turn it off _only_ when the VM is running. When the VM is stopped, Time Machine would be allowed to back it up.

This coupled to a much finer granularity than 2 GB in the virtual HDD storage, might offer a nice solution for virtual machine backups, either with Time Machine or with some other tools.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We do not recommend to use time machine for backup Vrtual machines, as it may not correctly keep integrity of all files for Virtual machine, thus we added only this choice

3. uidepara

uidepara Hunter

Here we go again

Hello John.

For this reason I suggested to work on a solution that allows to attach OSX folders as fully compatible disks. Timemachine could backup changes in the folder without compromising integrity. You told me that you're not able to do this for license problems (with Microsoft) but I believe that's not really true. I still believe that this would be a highly appreciated feature...

uli

4. John@Parallels

I answered in another thread, that you can do Time Machine inside virtual machine if you add folder /tmp/xxxx/C
    to Time Machine

5. uidepara

uidepara Hunter

Hello John.
    This does not work as you cannot restore from within /tmp folder. TimeMachine creates a private/tmp folder but it does not backup contents within this folder by defect and you cannot select folders in the TimeMachine configuration only exclude... (It's not a solution to play with the configuration files directly).
    If it was that easy you would have included this but you recommend not to backup with TimeMachine for obvious reasons. I don't want to run two or three backup solutions, I want to have one that does it all...

6. jams001

jams001 Bit poster

what is the meaning of this Better Time Machine integration i can not understand is this,

7. John@Parallels

Other way to access is /Users/<username>/VM.pvm/Windows\ Disks/C - this is constant path
    You can also use third party plugins, to add custom path