Tools won't install in Win98 (Parallels 4)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by paulkeeb, Dec 16, 2008.

1. paulkeeb

paulkeeb Bit poster

I cannot get the Parallel Tools install to even start in Windows98 under v4. When I click on "Install Parallels Tools" under the Virtual Machine menu, a message comes up ("Parallel Tools are a set of useful add-on features.."), I click on 'Yes' and... nothing happens. At all. The CD is connecting by default to 'prl-tools-other.iso'. From looking at other posts, though I couldn't find this exact problem, it did seem that uninstalling the previous version of tools would help. So I did that, but it made no difference.

What's the problem?

Thanks.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Parallels Tools are not supported for Windows 98

3. Kris G

Kris G Member

I am actually surprised that people still using Windows 98. :) Sorry just a comment!

Kris

4. paulkeeb

paulkeeb Bit poster

They were in Parallels 3. Have they been dropped in 4?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

6. paulkeeb

paulkeeb Bit poster

With all due respect, that doesn't answer my question. Under Parallels 3, Tools installed and ran in Win98. Running Win98 in 4 the Install Tools menu option is still there and the CD driver automatically hooks up to an image in the Tools folder (/Library/Parallels/Tools) called 'prl-tools-other'. But won't install. So has Tools installation for Win98 been quietly dropped in 4?

7. Bobrav

Bobrav Bit poster

If I can't use tools in Win98, how do I use version 3 in parallel with version 4? It is not a satisfactory answer to say "tools are not supported in 4.0". There are some applications that I can't use in a 32 bit operating system and I therefore have to have both Win2000 AND Win98 installed.

Tools were provided in version 3, they should therefore be available in version 4. The screen is virtually unreadable without, at least, an SVGA driver.

8. Andrew Taylor

Andrew Taylor Bit poster

tools will not install

I am also having the same problem i have upgraded the window 98 to XP but still it wont install the tools nor am i able to find the prl-tool-win.iso file from /Library/Parallels/Tools/ any help on this appreciated

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Junior Member

I'm in the same boat with the posters on this thread...and this thread isn't the only one!

Kris writes <blockquote>I am actually surprised that people still using Windows 98. :) Sorry just a comment!</blockquote>

Well, sorry, but this is just a reply. I've been using Win98 because it allows me to run some legacy DOS apps, yet take advantage of Parallels Tools when it comes to printing to a default Mac printer from several locations, from my MacBook.

I got Parallels v. 4 because it allowed me to run Windows 7 (happy, Kris?), but didn't expect that it actually would do a poorer job with Win98 than v. 3 did (as per Paulkeev, Bobrav, and others on other threads).

I really would like to see Parallels address this issue. Do I need to downgrade to v. 3...which doesn't run Windows 7? How about some "informed consent" for those who are considering moving to v. 4--telling them what they would lose? And when you install v. 4, v. 3 is automatically uninstalled. Is it possible to run both versions at the same time? If so, how? How about a KB article addressing this issue?