Failed to open the Parallels networking module

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BlueCrow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

chasew,
    please, provide install.log from /var/log directory.
    You can use Console.app from /Applications/Utilites/ or commang_shift+G /var/log/ in finder.
    And please, what system do You have on target Mac? (menu bar  (apple) - About This Mac).
    Thank you.

2. chasew

chasew Bit poster

The forum says the post is too big, can I email it to anyone in particular?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can either split it, or create ticket in support and submit logs there

4. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

I have attached my install log (pdf file). My issues are same as Casew and have done all that is in this string as well to find resolution but to no avail.

Attached Files:

5. chasew

chasew Bit poster

install log file

Here is a copy of my install log.

Attached Files:

6. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

Leenda, chasew, sorry, but we can't reproduce Your bug (I suppose, this is one kind of bug).
    Please, specify filesystem You have on target volume, and post here contents of /Applications/Parallels folder.
    Can you try to repair permissions on target volume with Disk Utility application (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app), clean Caches (/Users/<your_account>/Library/Caches)?

7. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

I have already tried the "clean install", repaired permissions using disk utility, cleaned caches, as per many instructions given here using the Parallels wizards troubleshooting area. Nothing, zip.

Filesystem? Not sure what that means or where to find that. I am installing on a MacBook with OS 10.5.5.

Parallels folder contents: in Applications folder is empty. I only have "parallels desktop.app" in the Applications folder listing.

FYI: I was able to upgrade to PD4 from PD3 successfully with no problems on Nov. 12, 2008!!! This problem began when on Nov. 21, 2008 the "3540" build upgrade alert popped up and I accepted the upgrade install. This is when the networking module problem began for me. I can re-install PD3 and use that running OK.

8. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

Filesystem?: not sure what this is or where to find but I am installing on a MacBook OS 10.5.5
    Parallel Folder Contents: In Applications folder, it is empty. I only see the "Parallels Desktop.app" in the Apps folder listing.

I have done everything I could find on the PD troubleshooting pages: "clean install", repair permissions, cleaned caches, etc. Nothing, nada, zip. Very Frustrating!!

FYI: I upgraded to PD4 from PD3 successfully on Nov. 12, 2008. Everything went smoothly and was operating as it should. Things went "wrong" when I accepted on Nov. 22, 2008, the "3540" build alert upgrade and installed it. That is when the networking module became a problem for my PD4 install. I have re-installed PD3 since and all seemed to function well, but when I install to PD4 whether it be the Nov 12 build or the Nov 22 build, the networking module does not load (fails).

9. John@Parallels

just in Terminal perform following command

diskutil list

10. chasew

chasew Bit poster

$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *298.1 Gi disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 297.8 Gi disk0s2
    /dev/disk1
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk1
    1: Apple_HFS Time Machine Backup 465.8 Gi disk1s1
    /dev/disk2
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *17.7 Gi disk2
    1: Apple_HFSX chasewade 17.7 Gi disk2s2
    /dev/disk3
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *483.9 Mi disk3
    1: DOS_FAT_16 NO NAME 483.6 Mi disk3s1

11. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

Last login: Mon Dec 15 10:19:54 on console
    lindas-macbook-2:~ Linda$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 148.7 Gi disk0s2
    /dev/disk1
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *18.7 Gi disk1
    1: Apple_HFSX dr.magill 18.7 Gi disk1s2
    lindas-macbook-2:~ Linda$

12. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

It's seems like some errors on Your filesystem.
    So, let's try some trick:
    1) Attach last downloaded Parallels Desktop disk image.
    2) Run uninstaller and uninstall Parallels Desktop.
    3) Install Parallels Desktop.
    I know, that You do this many times, but please, let's try one more time.
    After that, if no Applications/Parallels folder or it's empty, open Terminal.app and type
    open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Transporter 4.pkg"
    this will force installation of Parallels Transporter. Sequentially run ALL following commands in terminal:

open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Explorer 4.pkg"
    and install Parallels Explorer

open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Image Tool 4.pkg"
    and install Parallels Image Tool

open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/MacFUSE-Core-1.7.pkg"
    and install MacFUSE

As I can see, You have Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, so run
    open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Drivers 10.5.pkg"

but if you have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, run
    open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Drivers 10.4.pkg"

After that, please, post your Install.log file here. If anything strange happens, describe this here please.
    I hope, this will partially solve that problem.
    Thanks for cooperation.

13. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

OK stasdas, am working on this now. will get back to you with results. Thank you.

14. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

This is as far as I could get: Following the first step after the install (parallel folder still empty), I wrote in terminal window your first command: open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Transporter 4.pkg"

The installer window opened and i clicked continue with install. Install failed: Message: The installer could not install some files in "/". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

15. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

Ok, Leenda, please execute all commands. I hope, another packages will be installed ok.

16. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

MacFuse was the only command line that installed successfully. The others gave same error message about "/". What does that mean anyway?

Attached Files:

17. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

Sorry, Leenda, bun I guess that Your filesystem was corrupted somehow. ((
    May I ask you to execute sudo open "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Drivers 10.5.pkg" (and enter Your admin password).
    Try to use Disk Utility to repair disk (not permissions).
    Thank You for Your cooperation, it is very important for us.

18. Leenda

Leenda Junior Member

stasdas, FYI: I have developed other "permission" issues with my MAC which I believe is preventing me to be able to resolve this "parallels networking module failed to load", using any of the suggestions presented on this forum or in the troubleshooting wizard area. I have had to contact Apple regarding this and it appears that some "overriding" permission changes that were coincident with my Parallels "3540" upgrade occurred and are irreversible. Mainly affected is my "applications" folder that is no longer controlled(cannot completely delete apps like parallels) by the system administrator nor can it be resolved by their usual release, repair, renew, fix disk, and permission utilities or workarounds. It was recommended that I do an archived OS reinstall to fix this, which also failed because "some files could not be written to the hard drive" during the re-intstall process. I may have to do a total clean reinstall of my OS!

19. John@Parallels

Could you provide to me or to stasdas system.log
    I believe disk errors are showing there

20. stasdas

stasdas Bit poster

Please, post here output of following terminal command. ls -la /Applications/
    You can't delete Parallels Desktop only or other applications? Please, give us more information.