How to reproduce sticky key problem (and others)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Wildnight, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Malakite

Malakite Bit poster

Hi guys, I too have the same problem and I cannot believe that no-one from Parallels has sorted the solution for us yes, it's a HUGE glitch :(

Also did anyone else have trouble registering on here due to the verification code being almost impossible to see clearly? It took me TWELVE different attempt of re-typing it togetger with the password in order to get it to work :(

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

issues with Ctrl-Cmd swapping, sticking keys, as well as several other less frequent issues having to do with keyboards and remappings were submitted to our developers. They are currently working on providing a fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

3. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

whoo-hooo

Thanks Parallels for acknowledging the issue!!!! Now that I know you are working on a solution it is easier for me to put up with this crazy nonsense a little while longer... :)

Jeff

4. Wildnight

Wildnight Member

This morning, in addition to the sticky keys problem, I am now experiencing periods where the mouse cursor disappears in the guest OS (Windows XP). I can see that the cursor is moving because controls react to hover, and I can click with the invisible cursor.

John, since I know you're reading all these now :), any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hi, yep I am back from trip
    Please specify in what mode VM is running full screen, coherence,
    What applications are running , additional details, mouse driver?
    Anyway , you can start from deleting mouse from device manager and restarting VM

6. mcooper

mcooper Bit poster

sticky problem on Parallels 3

Parallels WinXP VM.
    Open Excel spreadsheet.
    Open Parallels Preferences -> Keyboard -> "Toggle Full Screen"
    Check the box by 'Ctrl' to add it to the Toggle Full Screen's keyboard shortcut, making it:
    'Ctrl+Alt+Custom(Enter)'
    Hit 'M' and watch the Excel window minimize within Windows. The VM window is still there, but Excel has minimized.

7. BlueCrow

BlueCrow Junior Member

To Parallels Team: Any progress on this sticky keys issue?

It has become unbearable to use Parallels and I am trapped in version 4. I had to restart 4 times today to stop the sticky keys problem.

8. jcmccain

jcmccain Bit poster

I have the same problem and have resorted to turning off all the key mappings. That works around the problem but makes copy/pasting between Mac and Windows OSs mentally challenging.

9. John@Parallels

Please follow earlier suggestions for sticky keys
    Parallels Desktop -Preferences - Keyboard - click restore defaults

10. jcmccain

jcmccain Bit poster

Thanks for the reply, but that's equally as challenging: Command-C,V, etc work, but you have to switch to Control for Select All or any formatting commands. Again, just waiting for a fix, not a workaround.
    Jesse

11. igal27

igal27 Bit poster

Giving up...

I've still got this sticky key problem, this is just too annoying and no fix seems to be coming out. Thus, as it's impossible to work like this and Parallels doesn't seem to be doing anything about it, I've ordered the competitor's product.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  12. John@Parallels

We are working on this, please be sure of it

13. John@Parallels

14. jcmccain

jcmccain Bit poster

I've been running this build for a couple weeks now and the problem is MUCH better but not TOTALLY resolved. I still occasionally get a stuck modifier key (Shift, control or alt). I can usually clear it by pressing the modifier keys a few times in different combinations. thanks for getting the worst of this resolved!

15. john_s

john_s Bit poster

When P4 was just released I had this problem but the first hotfix fixed the issue. Now with the new build, this issue has popped back up.

16. Chris von Rabenau

Chris von Rabenau Member

I am having similar problems.

Build 4.0.3810 (Janaury 23, 2009)
    in Window View

I am reinstalling Parallels Tools and will report if this solves the problem.

17. Chris von Rabenau

Chris von Rabenau Member

Reinstall of Parallels Tools, appears to have solved the problem.

18. Chris von Rabenau

Chris von Rabenau Member

I guess I spoke too soon. Windows modifiers showing up again. Have found that jumping to host machine and back resets it temporarily. However, not for long (< 5 min). Not very functional....

19. Christopher Becker

Christopher Becker Bit poster

Wow

I Installed the latest build of parallels to try to fix the situation with the sticky keys.

The sticky key problem started happening again after reinstalling.

After shutting down last night and starting the pc up today, parallels.app will not load at all. I click the doc icon and it blinks for one second, then goes dim.

This is pathetic. I've paid for this software twice (3.0, 4.0). I need something that works. Should I go to VMWare?

[EDIT]

Appears parallels left an old .app icon, changed its icon, and was showing up in a different place on the dock.

Now I can't get windows apps to launch from the dock or appear in the dock.

This is like the most annoying game of whack-a-mole ever.

Really Really SICK OF THIS SOFTWARE. OMG THE STICKY KEY THING HAPPENED WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS MESSAGE
    SO ANNOYING

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  20. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

I am in the category with jcmccain - it does still happen, but a bit less frequent.

I still consider the problem to be very urgent though, because only a restart helps to get rid of it (until it strike again).

The annoying thing is: I have no clue how it is triggered.

Does submitting a report out of Parallels help, if the problem re-occurs?