Parallels 3-4 upgrade problems Macbook Air/Bootcamp/solid state

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by macmend, Dec 19, 2008.

1. macmend

macmend Bit poster

I just cannot upgrade to PD4. I have been trying now for 3 days

I am on the latest MBA with a solid state drive, I am using the latest PD4 download, a bootcamp installation of XP/3 that will boot perfectly in bootcamp, and has the latest mac drivers installed.

I tried a simple upgrade, then I have tried removing all PD3 instalation from bootcamp and starting a new VM from scratch, every time the upgrade stalls and wants me to go to manual and XP will not boot up, there is an error that puts a STOP on the boot, its a single error but goes too quickly for me to see it.

and drops me back to the page boot up in regular, safe etc, and starts to try and boot again and then fails again, this would go on ad infinitum if I did not stop it.

Why, is it the hard drive, or something else, why does it want to g o to manual, I went into bootcamp and re activated Windows and updated everything I could.

Can anyone help or should i just give up now and use something else.

2. macmend

macmend Bit poster

I managed to freeze he screen on the error
    STOP 0x0000007B (0xC 0000054, 0x 00000000, 0x 00000000)

what does it mean?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

4. macmend

macmend Bit poster

it isn't bios, I thought it was, it just says please check your disk, for any errors or a virus, but there isn't one when I check in bootcamp.

Bootcamp is running XP/3 with no problems or errors.

I followed a post whch suggesting removing parallels 3 all together and starting again with 4 to attempt to use the bootcamp partition. this is what i did in bootcamp

removed parallels tools folder from program files, used regedit to remove parallel tools from registry

all went fine and bootcamp runs fine.

all parallels previous creations are removed.

set up parallels and new VM from bootcamp, it goes to convert bootcamp and gets in a loop after convertion goes to "manual"

I have tried everything on my original install, on bootcamp, and nothing works, funny but my ubuntu vm converted fine. Parallels 3 worked fine.

I suppose I could wipe everyhting and start again with and XP install but I can't find the damn disk so I think I will give up, I use the PC minimally some applications and Avaya telephone admin and Crossover works on some of that.

This has been such a disappointing experience, and has really put me off Parallels,.... 4 looks to really be a BETA and not an RC at all. Its annoying but minor for me, for others I can see it would be disasterous.

No dobt VM ware will pick up the disgruntled, which is a shame.

5. John@Parallels

I believe if you create ticket in support we can investigate it more closely

6. DanKarlsson

DanKarlsson Bit poster

7. John@Parallels

DanKarlsson
    Please create ticket in support, we need to investigate this closer