Trouble with T-Mobile Hotspot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ehamburg, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Using Bridged Ethernet en1;Airport/Wireless.

I can't seem to connect to the internet at the airport I am at (Burbank). I am connected to on the OS X side and in my XP VM I can see that the VM has been issued an IP address different from the one on the OS X side, DNS addresses, etc. But, I can't ping anything or connect via a browser.

Any ideas on configuration changes that I might need to make to make this work?

2. mmak

mmak Member

No experience with T-Mobile, but maybe because you are already connected from OS X, they won't let you do it at the same time from XP. Try this,

Set your Parallels config to use en0
    In OS X go to sharing in system preferences then internet, select airport from the popup menu and built-in ethernet from the box below. Effectively, you'll be doing NAT on OS X. It may work.
    remeber to activate personal web saring in the sharing preference pane.

Mike

3. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Thanks for the idea. Tried it but no luck. The VM starts up with a dialog stating "Problem with network adapter detected". IPCONFIG shows IP address of 169.254.27.188 and default gateway of the same address with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

4. bigman

bigman Member

I had the same problem yesterday with a t-com hotspot. The following solution worked for me.

Use host only networking with dhcp on windows xp.
    After that configure internet sharing of airport with en2 (this is the Parallels Host-Guest Adapter).
    In network configuration I have Parallels Host-Guest Adapter listed before airport.
    You can try this. (But I do not know if this matters.)
    After that XP virtually had the same ip as mac os and everything worked fine.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  5. twentysf

twentysf Bit poster

I tried following your instructions, but:

I set the host-only networking option in parallels vm config,
    I configured the internet sharing of airport with en2

but I get two different IP addresses (I get a 10.x network on my mac and a 192.x network on my XP VM).

In Mac OS x when I click "renew dhcp lease" for the Parallels Host-Guest adapter under network preferences it just times out.

Any thoughts?