Parallels ver 4 OS/2 tools again broken

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by jeff luvall, Nov 17, 2008.

1. jeff luvall

jeff luvall Bit poster

Again the update to Parallels 4 has broken the mouse in OS/2. Th automatic install of the OS/2 Parallels Tools have never worked and now manual install of the mouse drivers doesn't work.

DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\prlmous.sys
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
    DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS TYPE=PRLMOUS$

Comparing file sizes/dates these files appear unchanged from ver 3 to ver 4 for the ECOMSTATION for OS2 the ver 3 has a later date than ver 4.

ECS12 Parallels ver 4 ECS12 Parallels ver3 (5626)
    mouse.sys 10/23/02 36k mouse.sys 10/23/02 36k
    prlmflt.dll 6/21/07 8k prlmflt.dll 6/21/07 8k
    prlmous.sys 6/21/07 8k prlmous.sys 6/21/07 8k

OS2 ver 4 OS2 ver3 (5626)

prlmflt.dll 9/8/08 8k prlmflt.dll 10/17/08 8k
    prlmous.sys 9/8/08 8k prlmous.sys 10/17/08 8k

None of the drivers work in ver 4.

Has anyone got these to work?

thanks
    jeff

2. Carlos

Carlos Bit poster

No, I made the same experience here.

3. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Parallels team is aware of this issue and is working to fix it. Please, check if it will be fixed in further updates.

4. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

Mouse broken, and BSOD on loading of GNPMI.DLL

I could work OS/2 without mouse for a while, but during config.sys, after pressing return a few times for not loading the mouse-drivers (parallels, os2, mdos), it stops with a register dump during loading of GENPMI.DLL.
    I guess it is the graphics?
    I am on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, and can boot to a 3-4 months old Installation of Tiger with Parallels 3.0, so I am still able to work with the backup copy of the Warp-VM, but it is rather inconvenient, and I ask myself why I bought 4.0 (just switched yesterday). The main reason was after the last tools update, the clock in OS/2 Warp did not work, it was stuck with the time, the VM was started!

I am certain I could swith to standard VGA in OS/2, but this is no real solution for me.
    Please try to fix this.
    As others do not seem to have that problem with GENPMI.DLL, I will try to generate a problem report.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please submit report from Parallels Desktop - Help menu -selecting Report a Problem, and post here report ID

6. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

My Parallels Problem ID 21831

7. vadimr

vadimr Bit poster

The same problem :(

8. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

Same problem here, too. It's now a couple of weeks ago, Parallels promised a solution in an update. How long do we need to wait still? Will it come as a Christmas present, perhaps?

9. liv2cod

liv2cod Member

Ditto here. I've tried installing IBM Warp 4.5, eCS 1.2 released, and eCS 2.0 rc5 -- nothing works. It're really disappointing. Without a working VM with OS/2, the Macbook will go back on the shelf. Had this software actually worked, I could have leveraged macs w/parallels into our company. I'll give it a few more weeks before reporting to the boss how the experiment fared. Maybe the parallels team will pull one out in the end.

10. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

As the messages go, did you file a problem report? If not, please do!

And the Black Screen with register dump on loading GENPMI.DLL? Did you get that too? As far as I have seen I was the first to report it and despite the "me-too", maybe the only one?

Merry XMas despite that, also to the Parallels Team, I still have hope :)

11. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

Installed Hotfix Update: Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac Build 3810 is available!

So, at least Graphic-Mode (WPS) with OS/2 Warp works again.
    The mouse driver is still broken, main reason is that I did not find a newer driver on the CD-Tools Image. I tried the ECS-Driver which resulted in a trap on boot, I reported this as a problem and got a new Problem ID: 27177 .
    I was then able to succesfully back the drivers out (booting in Textmode and REM -ing them in the config.sys) and can work, but without mouse.
    I cannot say what is wrong with the images, why the fdd does not work or why the CD-image does not have the newer drivers. Maybe I will figure it out tomorrow, it is now 11:23 pm and had a late shift in support.
    So i'll close for now. As soon is I figure out more, I'll post it here. The Problem ID 27177 I consider resolved, wrong driver (ECS) does not work with other OS/2-Version (OS/2 Warp 4.52 from Software-Choice).
    The original problem ID 21831 is partly resolved, the graphics driver works again, but mouse and maybe also clipboard is still broken.

12. liv2cod

liv2cod Member

Good news! A FIX at last!

I have found that the latest build of Parallels 4.0 works with eCS 1.2, eCS 2.0rc5, and Warp 4.5! The trick is that you need the latest version of the SNAP graphics files. The latest version is build 505 and it is included already with eCS 2.0rc5. To obtain it for other versions of OS/2 download the following files:

http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap/snap-os2-3.1.8.exe
    http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/scitech/snap/snap-os2-3.1.8.free-reg-code.txt

This driver is free to use. The txt file has a registration code which must be entered (within 21 days of installation) to keep the driver working. The company which made the driver provided these files when they announced there would be no further development on the OS/2 version.

I now have mouse pointer integration working on all three environments. For even better news, you can now change the graphics resolution to match the full screen resolution of your Macbook, Macbook Pro, or Cinema display! Just open the System settings and go to the monitor page, then check the box labeled "widescreen resolutions". Reboot the OS/2 image and you will see added resolutions for 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1080, and 1920x1200. Now you can full-screen your OS/2 session and use the entire real estate of your screen!

Thanks to the Parallels team for getting this latest update out. I'm thrilled to finally get the whole OS/2 family working so well on my Macbook!

Joe Barnhart

13. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

Thanks for the tip with the SNAP-Drivers, I got these working.
    But I still do not have the Mouse-Driver working. What Mouse-Drivers are you using (Parallels: please state file-date and -time and length)? On the Floppy-Tools-Disc-Image was only a newer Ethernet-Card-Driver, on the CD-Tools-Image where only mouse-drivers for ECS, which trap in my OS/2 Warp-Version (4.52 from Software Choice). Currently I am using the VM without mouse and have reported this as a problem to Parallels, ID 27467, and have a follow-up email send to support, with the directory-listings of the Floppy-Image and the CD-Image.
    On the old discs where directories for ECS and Warp 4 (.5?) seperately.
    Why the ECS-Drivers do not work in Warp, I cannot say.
    Oh, and the clipboard-driver is in a directory for Warp, but does not work either, but not as bad, it simply gives an error-message and does not load, so I do not mind as much.
    And just now, the (new!) Ethernet-Driver stated on boot, that the NIC was not found and the driver not loaded, "check I/O Ports and that the card is jumpered correctly". Nice. That was the reason I tried the newer driver.
    Well, let's hope this gets resolved soon.

14. liv2cod

liv2cod Member

I am using the Warp 4.52 mouse drover on Warp. It has a file date of 10-23-02 4:30PM and a size of 33709 bytes. It works perfectly with the new drivers under the eCS "mouse" directory (PRLMOUS.SYS and PRLMFILT.DLL). Mouse synchronization works perfectly with the new SNAP driver. You might have to install manually to make sure everything is correct.

For my network driver, I chose the standard Warp 4.52 driver for the RTL8039 ethernet card. In the MACS directory of C:\IBMCOM the files are RTL8029.NIF (dated 8-19-96 8:15PM, 185 bytes) and PCIND.OS2 (dated 8-26-98 11:36AM, 15868 bytes). The TCP/IP networking is great but the Netbios over TCP/IP is spotty. (I can't authenticate with the Mac version of Samba, so I can't get a peer-to-peer share going. But I'm still working on it...)

I also have the problem with PrlClip.exe not working.

Joe Barnhart

15. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

Great Help, although the file dates and timestampt are the same, I renamed all the old Parallels-Drivers, installed the Drivers vom ECS, Prlmous was loaded even yesterday, the mousepointer was there, but stuck.
    Today I read the readme.txt for ECS again, and saw I forgot to add the prmflt to the Config.sys.

To Parallels, regarding Problem ID 27467, sorry to say so, but even without help from you, the following is working:
    SNAP - extended Graphics-Driver
    Mouse (automatic install did not work a few times)
    The PrlClip.exe does still not work, Sys 3175 - access violation at 0001015c. This can be closed, and PrlClip is not loaded.
    Regarding the Driver for the Ethernetcard not being loaded, I states an I/O-Port conflict, it did not happen today on 2 Reboots, I REMed the floppy-drivers out, if it does happen again, I will REM unneeded drivers, like the CD-Driver.
    If it then does happen again, I will raise a new problem incident.

But I would really like a working Clipboard between Mac OS X and OS/2, so for me the problem ID 27467 is not solved!

Big thanks to liv2cod (Joe Barnhart)!

16. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

Just checked: time does not work, it is still stuck on the time, the OS/2 VM was started.
    That was also not working in Parallels 3.0 since the last update, I did not bother to report it, it is just a nuisance, but with all the other stuff in Parallels 4 with the OS/2-Drivers/-Installation I think Parallels should look into it.

17. John@Parallels

Just to clarify we are working on this case

18. ilembcke

ilembcke Junior Member

Thanks for the reassurance.

19. mvcube

mvcube Member

Hello,

I too have the "stuck clock" problem with the most recent Parallels Desktop 4.0. My OS/2 installation is a eCS1.2. Anything I might have forgotten to install?

20. John@Parallels

I would like to say that we are working on all cases for OS/2 and eCS support