Incredible slow startup / shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mattsb, Nov 27, 2008.

1. mattsb

mattsb Bit poster

Hi!

I have tried both upgrading, and then a complete reinstall, but nothing fixes my problem. I have converted my old virtual machines from v3 to v4, in order to try the new version. But when i click on start, it stalls for like 4 minutes before anyting happens, and then the machines starts up slowly. The same thing when quitting. When XP is shutting down, it's taking forever before the machine is completely shut. I see the same thing when suspending it.

I have also installed the same version on a new imac (which didn't have parallels before), and it runs smoothly with that boot camp partition there. I have also copied my xp virtual machine that was converted from v3 to the other computer with newly installed parallels, and it runs perfectly smooth there.

This leads me to think that there is something in my system that is interfering with parallels v4, that is left behind from v3. Even though i uninstalled v3, rebooted, and then installed v4 again, it is the same result as before - poor.

I am running the latest build 3540, on a VM with xp sp3, 1gb, 1 core.

// Matts

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

could you try creating a new virtual machine based on the old virtual disk on the computer where you experience the performance issues? Most probably that will solve the issue.

3. mattsb

mattsb Bit poster

I have tried to create a new VM based on the old VM:s hdd:s, but if anything it takes even longer time now.

I also tried to create a completely new VM with new hdd, but this wont start direct either. Takes several minutes before it boots up and tries to load win installation files.

Sounds very much like a system fault and not just VM related.

4. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Could you post the system specs of both computers here? Also, compare the settings in installations of Parallels Desktop 4 on both computers: are there any relevant differences?

5. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. Could please you send us the report? Just open any VM with troubles, login in Windows, wait ~3 min, select Report a Problem menu item in the PD4 Help menu. Write down the report number and post it here. It will be perfect if you send us 3 reports from your three VMs.

Best regards,
    Alexander

6. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Is Time Machine ON in the Mac OS X Preferences?

7. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

mattsb, check your situation according this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5778
    Also check "Configure" > Boot Order and make sure that Hard Disk 1 is placed at the top.

8. mattsb

mattsb Bit poster

I have looked at the KB-article, but that didnt help. Also, time machine is off, always has been.

I really thinks this has to do with my system, not the VMs. I did yesterday a complete uninstall / install with rebooting inbetween every step of the way. Then, I tried to create a completely new VM, but the startup process for that one took a few minutes before the boot screen loaded, before I installed any os.

I work at a MBP 2.2GHz C2D, 4gb ram ^ ~1y/o. Version 3 of parallels worked like a charm..

9. mattsb

mattsb Bit poster

Smartmount, not so smart after all

Thanks for all the help lately ;-) But I think I found it out now. During startup, a process called mount_nfs started calling for my network disc, trying to mount it probably. But that didn't work (my disc is not a nfs disc, maybe that's why?). When that process terminated (maybe timed out, I can't tell) the startup process of my VM started.

I managed to solve this problem by turning of the feature "Smartmount". Now my VM starts up immediatly. I haven't had the possibility to see if this also goes for the suspend action, but I have no reason to believe that it will behave any different.

So, my conclusion is - Smartmount, not so smart after all.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

11. mattsb

mattsb Bit poster

I have followed that kb article like 5 times, and nowhere does it hint about going in to the smartmount-tab and deselect the checkbox there that activates the smartmount option.

And to you John@Parallels, please dont say that the kb-article solves the problem when it obviously didn't. It was suggested earlier, and I followed it then, without success.

12. John@Parallels

ok, no problem, but article states to remove links to remote servers

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  13. womprpg

womprpg Bit poster

this happen to me too
    Without running parallels with boot camp mac osx shutdown and restart very slow

14. John@Parallels

in System profiler - Logs section check in system log, what is causing slow startup and restart

15. womprpg

womprpg Bit poster

16. John@Parallels

Yes, I have noticed it, and checked status, we are looking into it

17. claco

claco Junior Member

Count me in

I just upgraded to Parallels 4 last night. Now, even with SmartMount disabled, my XP boot times have tripled, even with Adaptive HyperVisor turned off and using the same cpu/mem/vid settings that UI used in 3.0.

18. claco

claco Junior Member

Count me in

I upgraded to Parallels 4.0 last night, and now my XP boot time take minutes. I've turned off SmartMount, Shared Folder, etc. I'm also using the same CPU/Mem/Vid settings that I did in 3.0 Adaptive HyperVisor is also off.

This is on a MBP 17", 4GB Ram running OSX 10.5.6

19. John@Parallels

20. claco

claco Junior Member

I tried that already. It's still slow.