Where did Parallels 4 for Linux go?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by mdlueck, Nov 15, 2008.

1. mdlueck

mdlueck Member

I see that Parallels 4 has been released for Mac... What happened to the Linux (and Windows) version?

Parallels seemed to suggest that they had a three platform v4 coming, but I only see one platform.

Ubuntu 8.04 (and 8.10) support is critical. Parallels 2.22.2232 at least works with 8.04, but is not officially supported. We need official support for AT LEAST 8.04.

NAT networking is critical.

Stable USB (USB2) is important.

2. mckinnis

mckinnis Junior Member

Linux support needs to be kernel independent.

3. terlmann

terlmann Junior Member

Distro's fault

Linux kernels update at the speed of light, but I don't think that is the real problem here.

== REAL CAUSE==
    Canonical occasionally released official headers that worked for their kernels with the VMware products that they supported... but so far no such support is forthcoming for parallels. From what I see on launchpad, they are focused on getting individual versions of parallels working with individual sub-versions of ubuntu , which obviously is going nowhere.

==REAL SITUATION==
    Parallels needs to hand off the development of certain interactivity components of their software to distribution
    makers like canonical , redhat, suse, and mandriva, who are entirely responsible for controlling the
    kernel updates for their distro's that break parallels software
    's ability to compile(and therefore to run).

===REAL STATE OF AFFAIRS==

LINUX <> KERNEL <> PARALLELS

==CORRECT STATE OF AFFAIRS==

LINUX <> KERNEL <> UPDATED AND MAINTAINED COMPAT FILES <> PARALLELS

==REAL SOLUTION==
    Only when the development of the software that allows parallels to run on linux
    is stable will they be able to add new functionality, and at present this software is part of the kernel
    and subject to change at any time.