Cannot edit vm memory with RHEL 5

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by dkrening, Dec 13, 2008.

1. dkrening

dkrening Bit poster

I am running Parallels 3 (5626) with a RHEL5 (actually the free CentOS5) VM. I am unable to edit the VM memory limit from 512MB to 1024MB. When I try this I get a kernel panic when attempting to boot the VM. I can set it back to 512MB and all works fine. My Parallels memory limit is set manually to 1540MB although I get the same behavior when it is set to adjust automatically. I have 4GB on my physical machine.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Set OS type to other 2.6 linux

3. dkrening

dkrening Bit poster

No luck. I still get the same kernel panic:

EIP: [<c041e27d>] change_page_attr+0x19a/0x275 SS:ESP 0068:c18fcec4
    <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

4. John@Parallels

Set to auto and disable memory preallocation

5. dkrening

dkrening Bit poster

I set it back to automatic with no preallocation. That didn't work either. Exact same kernel panic.

6. John@Parallels

7. dkrening

dkrening Bit poster

I read the referenced thread. I am concerned with the supposed quote from Parallels Tech Support:

Unfortunately we don't support more than 516 mb of RAM for the CentOS guest.

I am limited (due to the applications I am running on linux) to using RHEL4, RHEL5, CentOS4, or CentOS5. Obviously I would rather use CentOS since it is free. Can you tell me what (if any) memory limits there are for these guest OS's with both Parallels Desktop 3 and 4?

8. John@Parallels

in Parallels Desktop 4 no limit for those guests

9. vinneh

vinneh Member

ive seen john say that parrallels 4 will support opengl for linux guests, and yet here i am, with parrallels 4, and no way to enable desktop effects in ubuntu 8.04. perhaps he was referring to a different parrallels 4? there is no documentation about it, no instructions, nothing. does parrallels 4 support opengl or not? and if so what specification of opengl. and if not why did you sAy it would? I get the impression from your marketing hype parallels desktop is aimed squarely at windows users. guess ill be going back to vmware.

10. dkrening

dkrening Bit poster

John@Parallels said:

in Parallels Desktop 4 no limit for those guests

I upgraded to Desktop 4, and unfortunately get the exact same kernel panic. I also downloaded the CentOS 5.0.1 Virtual Appliance to make sure it wasn't a problem with my virtual machine; exact same result. So did I just waste $50 on this upgrade?

11. John@Parallels

No, in Parallels Desktop there is indeed no limit for it,
    Please create ticket in support we can investigate situation more closer, I believe something is wrong in Virtual Machine