Possible to use XP Upgrade Edition?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kaidomac, Jun 20, 2006.

1. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

I have a copy of Windows XP Upgrade Edition; is it possible to install this version to Parallels? I have an external CD-ROM drive as well as my internal Mac Mini CD-ROM drive, so that might work for previous-version CD verification. I glanced through the manual but didn't see whether I could or not. Anyone know?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

If the Upgrade Edition cannot find a version of Windohs already installed then it will halt very near the begining of the install.

If you already have a version of the monolith installed then everything is good. Or as good as it gets at least.

3. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

Haha, thanks for the tip :)

4. gknw

gknw Bit poster

Easier than having to install...

I used XP Upgrade and simply ejected my XP setup disk and inserted an old windows NT disk (could have used 98 or 98 SE) to verify when prompted. I did not have to go through the pain of installing one and then the upgrade on top. :eek:

TO eject the disk I had to unconnect to the CD from the VM, use OSX to eject, then inserted the new disk and reconnected the CD drive. You will have to repeat the process to get the XP setup disk back in. A little swapping is waaaay better than sitting through two installs :D

5. SanDiegoJim

SanDiegoJim Junior Member

Installing a Win XP Upgdate Disk Version

Installing Win XP Using an Update Disk

If you own a Window XP Updater version of XP, then I found the following steps gave me a successful install.

1. Make a new Virtual Machine (VM).
    2. Boot the VM from your XP Update disk.
    3. Setup will do some stuff and eventually ask you to insert your Win 98SE CD.
    4. Since the CD doesn’t appear on the Mac desktop while Parallels is running you cannot simply replace the CD. You can eject and insert the Win 98SE CD with this work around:
    5. Exit (don’t quit) the VM into the Mac world (ctrl-alt).
    6. On the Parallels Devices Menu choose CD/DVD-ROM1 and then choose Disconnect. This releases the CD to the Mac world. It takes a moment or two to show up on the Mac desktop.
    7. Eject the Win XP CD.
    8. Insert the Win 98SE CD.
    9. On the Parallels Devices Menu choose CD/DVD-ROM1 and then choose Connect. This attaches the CD to the XP world.
    10. Reactivate VM by clicking in the XP window.
    11. On the Win XP install window, press ENTER and the XP install program will do some stuff with the Win 98SE CD. Eventually it will ask for the Win XP Install CD so repeat the steps above to switch the disks again.
    12. Now sit back and watch for about 45 minutes while XP Installs, supplying the normal install information.

Note 1: After the restart, don’t forget to run Windows Update to get the latest versions of everything. I try to avoid MS’s automatic updater since I got into a license issue even though I was using a legal version of the software. Use the custom update or manual downloads. BTW: Once I installed the SP2, I never got the annoying license warning.

Note 2: Since I have a original version of XP Home, I needed Win SP2 (another 25 minutes even with the SP2 file being local...at least I didn’t need SP1 first), a restart then another 46 Win XP updates (12 more minutes), a restart then one update for my updates (5 minutes), a restart then 9 program updates (12 minutes), yet another restart then one more update (2 minutes). Gotta luv MS!

Note: Installing Win 98SE first only adds to your work as well as about 2.5 hours.

6. jebworks

jebworks Member

I'm trying to follow the instructions but am stymied already at item 2
    I can't boot from the Upgrade Disk, it keeps spinning a few times then is ejected with the comment "no boot device available", same occurs when I open the other VM I installed using Windows 98, which I thought would let me Upgrade, same result.....
    Anyone have an idea?

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

1) Make sure the disk you are trying to boot from is really a bootable disk.

2) Make sure the CD drive on your VM is set up as the master device on the first controller.

3) Make sure your boot order starts with the CD.

8. jebworks

jebworks Member

I've had no problem running this CD on my HP laptop, where it gets to the right screen from where I can start the install. I've set the boot sequence to start with the CD drive, I don't know how to set what you describe in your item 2

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

Edit your VM, then click on the CD drive (left pane) and set the connect to 0:0 (first controller, first device). Set your hard disk to 0:1.

You can only boot from a CD if it's the first device of the four (0:0, 0:1, 1:0, 1:1). Poke around. You'll find it.

10. jebworks

jebworks Member

Have now set the attachement option to 0:0 for the CD drive and the boot sequence to CD / HD / Floppy.

Inserting the XP Home upgrade disk, then clicking on start VM still results in the disk the no boot device found, the cd spins a few times then ejects itself.....

I'm at my wits end with this stuff. It should work easier than this, shouldn't it....

BTW, I've installed Win '98 so the upgrade should really work, I'd understand if this happened while I tried to just boot from the upgrade, although even that should get me to the install screen.....

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

Are you SURE the cd is bootable? If you already have an OS installed, you don't need to boot from the CD; just find the upgrade program on the CD and run it. (I can't help you with identifying it since I don't have an XP upgrade disk).

12. SanDiegoJim

SanDiegoJim Junior Member

Not sure what to say...

I am sorry you are having problems with the install Joem. My WinXP disk is bootable and quite frankly, I found that out by accident. I was going to install Win-9x first and then upgrade but inserted the WinXP disk by accident. My box from MS says it is a Windows XP Home Edition for upgrading 9X versions. It also says it is Upgrade version 2002. And now I am reading on the right side of my box that "The enclosed program will search your HD and/or CD to confirm my eligibility to upgrade." This suggests to me the disk is bootable.

Can you get any version of Win to boot?

Maybe go through the extra hours of work and install Win-9X first. Warning, it will triple your install times because Win-9X install is painfully slow.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  13. jebworks

jebworks Member

I have exactly the same XP Home disk as you describe and it boots when I test it on my HP PC laptop....
    I was earlier today able to get the disk to boot by following the instructions from your earlier post, but that was to upgrade a VM running W'98 SE. From another post I copied the following settings:
    Guest OS: Windows XP (although on the VM I was trying to boot W'98 was installed)
    Boot Sequence: CD-ROM / HD / Floppy
    Acceleration: Enable VT-x support unclicked
    Attachment Options: Connect to IDE 0:0
    I thought I was finally home free as the install process started. I also was able to swap the CD's when asked to insert the W'98 SE. After I re-inserted the XP Home CD I got again the error that no bootable disk was available and to click enter. I then got around that problem by clicking "alt-Enter" which got the CD to the next screen telling me it was partitioning the drive and that's where the fun ended. It stuck there forever.....
    Paralles support doesn't have a solution only the workarounds described above, telling me that only few people will use Upgrade disks and they haven't addressed any possible issues with this.
    That's where I'm stuck for the moment until another light bulb goes off.

P.S. Am a long time Mac User myself.

14. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

After you reinserted the XP Home Upgrade CD, did you go to the CD icon on the bottom of the window, click on it, and select "Connect..."? That's what I did, and it worked like a charm. I was able to use the upgrade CD with an old W98 CD, and it went off without a hitch.