Can not get Host-Only networking working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by PubGuy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I have not been able to get the host-only networking operational at all and sure could use some step-by-step directions.

My MacBookPro airport is setup as:
    IP: 10.0.1.8
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 10.0.1.1

Parallels Host-Guest Adapter:
    IP: 10.0.1.80
    Subnet:255.255.255.0
    Router: 10.0.1.1

What specifically do I need to set in Windows XP SP2 to get the host-only networking operational? Thank you in advance to anyone that can walk me through this!

2. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Wow! Nobody knows!

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

PubGuy,

It seems you've reconfigured Host-Guest Adapter to use static address. The wrong one. Just set Host-Guest Adapter to use DHCP (as it was initially), select Host-Only Network in VM configuration, configure XP via DHCP also and you should be all set.
    There's no router on Host-Guest Network since this network is limited to your Mac and VMs. If you want to use Internet Sharing on it please refer to PD manual, it does contain pretty clear instructions.

4. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

OK, I did as you suggested.
    On the Mac, the Parallels Host-Guest adapter is set to DHCP.
    I'm not on a network now and the IP address is 169.254.160.10 / 255.255.0.0
    I setup XP for DHCP.
    XP can not obatin an IP address and I have zero network connectivity.

What should I do next to resolve this?

- thanks for the help!

5. beattyMBP

beattyMBP Member

Did you share the connection on the Mac side?

If not,

Go to System Prefs, Sharing, Internet,.

Share your connection from : Airport

then check the box for Ethernet Adapter (en2)

This is on Page 104/105 of the manual........
    Host Only Networking with Internet Sharing

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

PubGuy,

Please check that prl_dhcpd is running. In Mac OS X Terminal type 'ps axuww|grep prl_dhcpd'. Is /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/prl_dhcpd listed?
    - If not, in the Terminal type 'sudo /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/prl_dhcpd' and check again. Also check system.log for messages from prl_dhcpd.
    - If yes, make sure through System Preferences that you don't have Internet Sharing active on Mac OS. Even if IS is inactive issue 'cat /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.nat.plist' . Somewhere in the middle of the text you should see these lines:
    <key>Enabled</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>PrimaryInterface</key>
    There are several 'Enabled' keys, you need the one above 'PrimaryInterface'. Now, the integer should be '0'. But sometimes it gets stuck at '1'. If it is, try enabling then disabling IS.

7. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Serv:

Thanks!
    When I went to check, everything seemed OK, then come to find out it was working!

The only thing I can think of is when I reconfigured PW, that I did not restart my computer. From your most recent message, it's obvious that the prl_dhcpd is a root service, so the changes I made would have required restart in order to be applied.

Right now, it looks like its operational. I can mount a shared XP folder on my Mac desktop using CMD-K and typing in the address assigned to XP. That works.

However, the Mac can not "see" the XP shares using the "Browse" function of OS X, nor can XP's "connect network drive" see the Mac (even though I enabled windows file sharing and the "workgroups" are both set the same). I also can not mount OSX from within XP using typing in a Folder Address as specified in the file sharing preference pane.

Is this normal?

8. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Thanks for your help. It magically started working --- just kidding. When I started the machine up today, the DHCP worked. I suspect that (after reading you prior email) that since the prl_dhcpd is a root-level service, that after applying the changes, I needed to restart the Mac for the new changes to take.

I can not test my internet sharing until I get home later tonight.

However: I still have questions.
    The way it is working now, I can use CMD-K on the Mac and type in smb://10.37.129.3/Temp/ and mount the XP Temp folder on my Mac desktop. GREAT!.

BUT, the Mac can not "see" the XP virtual machine using the "Browse" feature.
    Also, if I enable Windows File sharing on the Mac, the XP virtual machine can not see or mount anything on the Mac side. Is this Normal ??? If not, what do I need to do.

Thank you for the help!

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

PubGuy,

One thing to check is the firewall on XP. Try turning it off.

BTW, after changing Parallels DHCP settings you don't need to restart the whole Mac. Renewing Parallels Host-Guest Adapter DHCP lease should be enough. Oh, and renewing DHCP leases for all (if you have some) already running VMs would be nice too.