PD4 + Ubuntu + Compiz - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by paul-n, Nov 12, 2008.

1. paul-n

paul-n Bit poster

I've had zero luck getting Compiz working with Ubuntu 8.10. Has anyone gotten this promised feature working?

/p

2. cliffom

cliffom Bit poster

Same here, just installed PD4 and a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 but can't get compiz working.

Has anyone had luck and a walkthrough?

3. m410

m410 Bit poster

Not here either

Hi,
    Any answer yet? I've tried the following:

>compiz --replace
    checking for Xgl: not present.
    No whitelisted driver found

I've tried to xserver-xgl but with no success.
    I'd like to get an answer to this as well.

cheers
    ~mike

4. djeglin

djeglin Bit poster

Admittedly I'm not an expert, but I've been trying this as well with the hope that PD4 with its extra graphics support would get this working, but have had no success as yet. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, but I cant help but wonder if the real issue is with the fact that I am on a Macbook with an Intel GMA x3100. I know its significantly better than the 950 of old, but its still integrated graphics. Any response from the devs on this would be appreciated. I really wanted to get this going to try it out... And I dont want to have to mess with my bootcamp partition to install Ubuntu natively just to get this working (And I do have it on good authority that Compiz works just fine native on a x3100 based laptop.)

Cheers,

David

5. vinneh

vinneh Member

john said it would be supported, i have yet to see any evidence of it.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Compiz is not yet supported (requires OpenGL support in Parallels Tools for Linux, currently OpenGL is only supported under Windows), they say they are working on this, just for your information VMWare Fusion doesn't even have OpenGL support on Windows let alone Linux.

7. angelo666

angelo666 Bit poster

i read that actually in PD4 the video card is an emulation of vesa video card, so compiz fusion can't use minimum effect to work greatly ( http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y and http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=G3p8IBNNd88). That's not cool. I use a livecd on my mac whith compiz fusion enable, that's great.
    It's very restrictive that PD4 not include the same video support for linux that windows...
    Compiz is not young project, compiz was born in 2005, one more time, all things are done for windows ...

8. Hagablog

Hagablog Bit poster

I know that the problem is not the MacBook because 1) Compiz effects work fine on a LiveCD and 2) I have a friend with almost identical spec. in a Dell and he runs Ubuntu natively with advanced desktop effects enabled with no problem.

On a side note: has anyone managed to get Emerald working? I've heard it is part of compiz so this may be the same problem.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Are you able to get Compiz working on Live CD, while in Parallels or on real Mac?
    Compiz on Ubuntu is working only when for example proprietary drivers are installed from nvidia, or amd
    You need to enable it in device drivers,
    But this is not the case with Parallels Desktop, Vesa driver,
    We are working in that direction, but please note, I am not able to provide you exact ETA