PD after migration to my new MB Alu

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mister magic, Dec 21, 2008.

1. mister magic

mister magic Bit poster

Hi Everyone,

Since I made the migration of my former White MB on my New MB Alu, my Parallels Desktop 4.0 no longer recognizes Windows Vista was installed. When I click on the icon opens parallel to Vista, he said

[​IMG]

On my old MB it worked really well.
    Every time I open / / it asks me to activate what has been done on the old and I do not understand why I should still turn on the new MB. When I click on "Activate Now", the activation is running (at least thought). I said then that the best is to reinstall Vista, Vista j'introduit CD, it raises any questions, creates the image on the desk and he asks me once again to activate / / Desktop I click once more on "Enable ..." and then he asks me the key to activate my old / / 3 (since I made an upgrade / / 3 to 4). When I key, he said "activation key Void"
    I did all this when I was handling the upgrade on my old MB and / / accept a key asset of my / / 3 and after installing / / 4, I work a 10ène times on Vista .
    And voila as the new MB anything and I'm stuck on this activation key that does not!

What do I do? I do not use Boot Camp and although I need to work on Windows and Mac at the same time that Boot Camp does not!

Ideas to get out of this?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

was Vista on old MBP in Boot Camp?

3. mister magic

mister magic Bit poster

Vista was Working on PD without problem on my old MB, but after migration on my new MB, PD ask me to activate my PD everytime when i open it, and now i don't have anymore Windows Vista!

4. HonzaI

HonzaI Member

I think you have two problems (1. & 2.)...

0. First and foremost... Check disk permissions using the Disk tool... Just to make sure.

1. PD activation. Do you run as administrator or with admin rights? Installation of PD needs admin rights, but I suspect that activation may also - so if you are not running as admin, you may want to log in as admin and run PD with the admin rights to activate and make it "stick". If that does not work, the most likely you are to the _usual_ solution - uninstall PD, reboot Mac and install PD again. Something went wrong in installation of PD4.

2. Your VM files are either not there, corrupted or misplaced. After you fix the PD problem, make sure you have all the VM files where they need to be. I assume you have moved the VM files (I assume ALL files from the VM folder) to new machine. If you missed some, well, find it, move it to new machine. When you get all files in the right place the PD4 should run or upgrade (if these were from PD3).

By the way, once you fix problem 1, you may just try to create new VM to make sure PD4 works fine. And if you do not have any important files in the old VM, you may just reinstall new VM and use that. You may save yourself major headaches, as upgrades seem to be much more error prone than clean installs. I usually reinstall system & files in VM once in a while... And I do not keep any user data in VM, but in Mac, where they are much easier to find and backup. Mainly backup via Time machine is _very_very_ useful thing...

J.