My HD size in Parallels doesn't match Win size

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by SanDiegoJim, Jun 21, 2006.

1. SanDiegoJim

SanDiegoJim Junior Member

I recently installed Win XP Home Update over a Win98SE install using all default settings including the 8GB .hdd. (Yes I got Win 98SE to install but it took 2.5 hours.:mad: ) Everything worked fine and I started to install applications and transfer files from my dying Compaq. The I started getting Windows hard disk is full warning even though I had an expanding .hdd installed.

So I ran the Tools and expanded the size to 48 GB. (Yes, I have plenty of room because I have a 250 GB Mac HD.) Everything proceded fine and I restarted Win XP and began installing more programs. I immediately got the same Windows HD full warnings. So I checked and Win XP properties only show 8 GB HD while the Parallels Desktop program indicated 48 GB. The Mac actual file size is 8 GB.

I have tried converting from expanding to normal HD and same problem. I expanded to 50 GB and same problem. I am stuck. :(

Oh, and I am also stupid since I didn't back up the .hdd file first :eek: .

Any suggestions beyond starting over and repeating the 20 hours of work I have done?

2. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

3. SanDiegoJim

I went through those postings and nothing seemed to address my problem or to help. I had a Fat 32 Win 98SE HD when I started and expanded. Maybe that is the problem. I tried converting to NTFS and the problem still exists. :confused:

Oh, BTW: I posted instruction on how to eliminate the pre-98SE install and just use Win XP Upgrade. You might guess that I have already started over a new/clean install with a larger HD to start. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  4. bartho

bartho Member

It doesn't really matter now that you have started over, but in case you want to know: After expanding the .hdd with ImageTool you must resize your partition and filesystem, for example by using the methods in the linked thread.

What you got after resizing the 8GB .hdd to 48GB is basically the same as starting with 48GB but then telling the Windows installer to only use 8GB.

5. SanDiegoJim

Thanks Bartho. The resizing the partition in Win is what escaped me. I am just a dumb Mac guy you know :rolleyes: . I already mae a brand new VM without having to install Win 98SE first si I am guessing I have a cleaner installed product now. I will play with the old set up tho. Thanks again.