prl_client_app at 100% Cannot start Parallels 4.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by pcraddock, Dec 26, 2008.

1. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

Hi, I just installed PD4, build 3540. I upgraded from PD3 but did this as a clean install with no VMs. After installation, I see a process called prl_client_app (identified as Parallels Starter by Activity Monitor) that consumes 100% CPU. This is before even attempting to start Parallels. When I do attempt to start, it jumps to two of the same processes and consumes all cycles. Looking at Activity Monitor, both processes are Not Responding.
    Figuring this might be a Permissions issue, I went ahead and repaired permissions... No luck. I tried to run Parallels and the process hung again. Any ideas as to where to look?
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times already. Upon reboot, I have to go in and kill the Parallels Starter before doing anything else.
    Computer type is MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz processor. OSX 10.5.6 with 4GB RAM.

2. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

As an update.... I have installed this on another account on the same computer. It does work. But switching to my main account produces the prl_client_app hang.

3. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

And here's the log file...

I am posting the log file, as well.

Attached Files:

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Steps:
    1. Open Terminal from /Applications/Utilities
    2. type commands
    cd Documents
    rm -rf .parallels-vm-directory