prl_vm_app not responding

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by nall, Nov 12, 2008.

1. nall

nall Bit poster

Hi.
    I am seeing prl_vm_app not responding. See this screenshot: http://skitch.com/nall/5c1j/activity-monitor

It is also using an amazing amount of CPU. I've restarted Parallels, but see the same behavior.

Setup:
    Host: Macbook Pro (10.5.5)
    Guest: WinXP/SP2 via BootCamp

Could someone comment as to whether this is expected (I can only assume it's not).

2. pythonzz

pythonzz Parallels Team

New update was published, which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

3. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

nall,

We have created a ticket for you in our queue, please check your mailbox and follow the confirmation link.

Also please go to Help->Report a problem and reply to the ticket with your report ID number.

Thank you.

4. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Try this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5810, if it hangs during the VM uprgade try pressing Ctrl+Cmd+Option+R to interrupt the process, then follow the steps from KB article

5. davec

davec Junior Member

I am *still* having the same problem. I've tried 2 core, i've tried 1 core. I've tried following the KB article 5810, but there are no yellow warning signs. I've updated to the latest version 4.0.3540. I've even submitted a support ticket with full details (23740). When will you fix it?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

7. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

Same here (MacOs X 10.5.6 Parallels 4.0.3810 Windows XP SP2) with changing CPU loads by prl_vm_app (<10% right now, around 100% with audio software running under MacOs in the background). The process is marked "not responding", which makes me suspicious of it.

8. John@Parallels

Audio software may cause IRQ problem, I mean it tries to exclusively lock audio card

9. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

I see. But the audio hardware is connected bei Firewire. I thought Firewire wasn't supported bei Parallels? Or is it with 4.0?

10. John@Parallels

No, it is not, but the situation is following
    1. If you set that hardware to be default in mac
    2, And set sound input and output to default in mac OS

I suppose if you set sound input and output to integrated mac OS devices for VM, CPU usage will be gone

11. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

I wish it would. Right now, the audio device (Digidesign MBox 2 Pro) isn't even connected, , and prl_vm_app is "non-responding" running at around 30-40%, while Active Sync is connected to my HTC Touch Windows Mobile phone via USB. If I remove the HTC, prl_vm_app is still not responding and is using constantly around 90-100%. Changing the VMs audio in- or output or setting it to mute or null device doesn't change anything.

XP also tends to crash upon shut down (as it does right now) - I mean, it starts to shut itself down, but it hangs during the blue "Windows is shutting down"-screen or however that is labelled in English.

12. John@Parallels

Shut down Mac and start it again, not restart
    Check situation

13. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

John, thanks for your quick replies.

So I restarted MacOs, startet Bootcamp XP under Parallels, and checked what prl_vm_app did (audio with the VM all set to my MacBook Pros internal devices and activated (seems to be the default, although I changed it before restart), and a FW800-buspowered external hard drive connected):

1. Peaks up to around 40% upon starting XP, prl_vm_app responsive
    2. After Log-In under XP, prl_vm_app drops to around 6%, still responsive
    3. Started Outlook under XP. prl_vm_app peaks, then stays around 6%
    4. Connected my HTC Touch via USB to start calendar sync: prl_vm_app uses constantly 40-50%, stays responsive.
    5. Disconnected my HTC: prl_vm_app goes back to 6%
    6. Started Firefox under MacOS: prl_vm_app stays @ 6%, responsive.
    7. Started Apple Mail: prl_vm_app still the same (5-6%, responsive).

Ok, that doesnt seem to be the problem then.

8. Connected my MBox 2 Pro. No problems so far, with MacOs audio out- and input set to the MBox. Hm. prl_vm_app even drops to 3-4%.
    9. Started ProTools LE 7.4.2cs4. prl_vm_app still around 3-4% and responding.
    10. Opened a session in ProTools and tried to play back. Hm, not that great, but still prl_vm_app doesn't make any problems.
    11. Let ProTools session open, and connected HTC Touch. Active Sync started, no problem, prl_vm_app still ok (20-40% now).
    12. Disconnected HTC Touch again. Still no problem.

Ok, seems to be something different then. Right now, the problem doesnt even seem to exist.

Thanks for your time, I'll keep you informed if I notice any changes or a return to that strange behaviour. Restarting MacOs seems to have done the trick.

Best,

Felix

14. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

Ok, I think I found it / can to approve your suspicion:
    After the whole procedure I mentioned before, I shut Parallels down. After a while (no MacOs restart in the meantime), with the MBox 2 Pro still connected, I started Parallels again. prl_vm_app went to over 90%, not responding. After shutting Parallels down again, disconnecting Mbox and starting XP under Parallels again, everything seems to be alright in the beginning. But after XP-Log-In and a couple of seconds, prl_vm_app stops responding (with XP being still responding though).

The problem seems to be that Mbox then (with obviously allocating resources if connecting and starting it, without setting them free again if disconnected), or better the VM sharing or trying to share it via core audio, as you already said, John. Deactivated the VMs sound - this time it seems to store that setting (I think the crash upon shut down last time prevented it from doing it before). Restarted XP under Parallels - prl_vm_app is ok now.

Thank you for your help!

Felix

15. William Geck

William Geck Member

Tonfelix, you mention this is on a MacBook Pro. Did you happen to install the Nvidia update? prl_vm_app has given me occational problems ever since that upgrade installed on my computer. I have gotten a perminenent beach ball cursor for paralles, with prl_vm_app sucking up all the CPU. In one force quit of Parallels, the report that came up (and was sent to apple) seemed to indicate something going on with graphics. I have heard that Apple is no longer pushing out that upgrade, so I wouldn't be suprised if there was something wrong with it.

16. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

No, doesnt seem to apply to my computer. Its a mid 2007 Santa Rosa, afaik. Sorry, I don't think I can help you with that.