Odd Key problem. (accidentally activating shortcuts?)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by yaryar, Oct 16, 2008.

1. yaryar

yaryar Bit poster

Hello.

I have both XP and Vista installed via Parallels build 5608 on a Macbook running 10.5.2.

In both systems, certain keystrokes will be interpreted by the windows machines as a key shortcut.
    For example, when I'm typing "www.google.com" into the browser, when I hit the "l" key, it logs me out.
    Or whenever I similarly come to type "d" in any word (in any program), it brings me to the desktop.

I know that these can be used as "hotkeys" or shortcuts or what have you in windows, but I don't know how to tell parallels that i'm not trying to use those shortcuts... I'm only trying to type words!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please try to restart Mac OS, if there are still problems reinstall Parallels Tools

3. yaryar

yaryar Bit poster

A silly question, I'm sure:

How do I do that?

4. John@Parallels

1. Launch your Windows XP guest OS.

2. Open Add/Remove programs control panel in Windows and remove Parallels Tools if present.

3. Reboot Windows XP guest OS.

4. Install Parallels Tools using "Install Parallels Tools" menu item in the Action menu of the Parallels Desktop application.

5. Reboot Windows.

5. yaryar

yaryar Bit poster

Yeah. Silly question indeed. I figured out how to do that pretty much while you were typing it.

Anyway, the reinstall solved my problems.

Thanks very much for your help.

6. aspector

aspector Junior Member

Odd Key Problem

I am using a dual-core MacBook Pro, new this spring. A few days ago I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 and have now experienced this problem twice in the last three days. I followed these instructions both times and proper function was restored. However, this is frustrating, annoying, time-consuming, and shouldn't be occurring, particularly with this kind of frequency. Also, a completely separate problem, when I have had to leave the computer for probably fifteen minutes, on my return no visible cursor could be found. My mouse was functional. You could see icons, etc., highlighted when the "missing" cursor was over them, but the cursor could not be viewed. This has also happened twice. The first time, I somehow happened to click a "failure to logout" message which, once closed, displayed the cursor again. Tonight I'm not sure what I did, but eventually it re-appeared. (I think I opened my address book somehow, where the cursor was visible.) Any advice on how to avoid these problems altogether would be much appreciated, and advice on "retrieving" the missing cursor also. Thank you.

7. aspector

aspector Junior Member

Odd Key Problem

Sorry - forgot to mention I'm using Windows XP on the virtual machine.

8. John@Parallels

On which side cursor is disappear?
    Mac or Windows, is it disappearing without Parallels Desktop?

9. aspector

aspector Junior Member

Odd Key Problem

I believe it's actually occurring on the Mac side. Having been unable to reconnect my wireless mouse the other night after changing batteries (something occurring for awhile with both mouse and keyboard, but usually resolving without extraordinary measures) it required a PRAM reset to reconnect this time. Mentioning this not because of any cursor issues, but to let you know a reset was done. Actually, I had the cursor issue for a moment this morning, which also leads me to believe that's a Mac issue, as Parallels Desktop was completely shutdown and closed. Thanks.

10. aspector

aspector Junior Member

Odd Key Problem

As usual, I neglected to provide relevant information: I am using 10.5.6. There is a possibility that the cursor issue may be a bad bluetooth card, so please don't expend any effort on that issue until we see what changing that will do. However, I am still very concerned about the issue with Parallels Tools. Please advise. Thank you.

11. aspector

aspector Junior Member

Second Verse, Same as the First

Last night I loaded the update to 4.0, 4.0.3810 (December 30, 2008) but worked in my program in XP in Parallels for a very short time. Tonight I've worked for probably thirty minutes, and have just encountered the same issue with key strokes. Help - please! I cannot remove and reinstall Tools constantly. Thank you.

12. John@Parallels