Running Photoshop CS4 with GPU-Support ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Barkeeper, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Barkeeper

Barkeeper Bit poster

Hello,

is it possible to run Adobe Photoshop CS4 on Windows XP Pro under Paralles Desktop 4 with GPU-Support ?

I installed everything on my MacBook Pro 15,4" (the last one without the glare display).

Is there a chance to use the GPU accelerated features of PS CS4 on my machine ?

Thank you in advance!

Barkeeper

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Video driver used in Parallels Desktop for now, does not support GPU acceleration
    We are working on this direction , but there is no ETA when and how it will be implemented

3. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

slow

I have a problem with CS4 on my machine. Photoshop is sooo slow! :-(

My configuration is:

- iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - Mac OS X (last upgrade 10.5.6)
    - 4 GB RAM (2 GB for Parallels)
    - Parallels 4 (upgrade from Parallels 3)
    - Windows XP Pro SP2 (last upgrade with SP3)

I have installed only Photoshop - CS3 with ImageReady and CS4 with Bridge, Device Central, Drive, etc. The older one works great, but that newer is so slow. I mean, when moving layers (very simple document with one or two layers in small resolution like PAL) it's so slow it's almost impossibile to work anything seriously. I also tried to select OpenGL - no difference. The thing is it's not that CPU operations are slow, but the user interface and interaction with... I can't explain the exact problem. For example, when I drag something to open, it takes unusual long - about 15 seconds for JPG that is less than 1 MB. The same thing takes about 1 sec with CS3 on the same machine.

And one more strange thing. When I move layer, sometimes it jumps somewhere (even outside the canvas) like I moved it purposely. Mouse pointer stands still, it's just the layer that is selected. So I must (not necessary) move it back to the place it was, or if it goes outside the canvas I must zoom out and find it to move it back inside the canvas, and work further if it doesn't jump again somewhere. This happends too often (every minute at least) so it's frustrating for any long work. There is no problem with CS3, yet the alternative is not to work in old Photoshop, but rather to solve the problem with CS4 and work normally in fresh installed newest version of Photoshop, of course.

Other users experience with Photoshop CS4?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

Tried. Nothing. CS4 is still slow. CS3 works fine as before.

I doubted this would help, but I tried, and it didn't.

Does that mean this slowness I have is normal? Other users experience would help.

Nothing special, just default Apple Mighty Mouse.

6. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Why not run the Mac version of CS4 natively? Adobe wil let you switch platforms.

7. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

My work setup is based on Windows because of some particularly software. I work in fullscreen and switch through Mac spaces rather than working in coherence mode to combine Mac and Win software simultaneously. And I just don't like transparent working background that is common in Mac. But most of this is more personal choice. Maybe I will switch to Mac version if there is no alternative, but before seriously considering about that I would really like to know if this is isolated case or is it general problem?

8. SamuelR

SamuelR Bit poster

Mouse problem

I have the exact same problem with the mouse. When i click at any type of layer, suddently it changes location. Right, left, up, down, even outside the screen. I have photoshop cs4 both at work and at my home, and its the same problem both places. My work pc is windows xp 64-bit, and a HP mouse. At home i have windows vista 64-bit and a logitech mouse. I think the problem is in photoshop cs4 itself, as i have no problem with photoshop cs3 at all.

Anyone found a solution to this problem? please write.