Does Parallels just use one CPU?????

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

I am sure some time ago I saw a responce from Parallels that indicated that Parallels only used one CPU of the the CoreDua dn left the other for OSX.

I use Menumeters and Activity Monitor to keep an eye on CPU utilisation (I have had a couple of strange runaway process's) and this does not seem to be the case.

Both CPU's utilisation is more or less tha same all the time, oh there are odd fluctuations but they track each other most of th etime with a few percentage points.

So does Parallels use both or just one CPU?

Robin

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Well, Parallels uses only one CPU for running the code that's running inside the VM, but the other core will be getting used for anything else that might be going on, so they'll tend to both be getting used a lot, I would think.

3. Jerry

Jerry Member

4. omero

omero Member

Yes, I see the same things exactly, the two core seems to be about at the same utilization, which is strange, since at idle, only one core should be used (the one running Windows).

Weird.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Parallels is multithreaded application. One core is used for actual virtualization, other core is used for screen updates, GUI, async devices emulation and so on. So all system is utilized pretty well.

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Ahhh

Now that makes sense.

Thanks.

Robin