Can't install Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 8.10 & Fedora 10

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Ralston, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ralston

Ralston Bit poster

Can not seems to get Parallels tools to install in Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora 10, even after updating Parallels 4 to build 3540 and both Ubuntu and Fedora.. I even drag the install i86 64 file to terminal, got the Parallels tools dialog box, selected next, only to get an error. I have been getting: can't find Parallels ttols, can't open Parallels-tools.run, don't have permission, etc. John from Parallels team claimed he provided an answer but will not post the link in his reply to a new thread when introduced. Its very frustrating and time wasting. The CD mounts on desktop and that's it. Otherwise, both Ubuntu and Fedora function okay. Had to set resolution to 1440 * 900 however, would like to used the entire screen. No problems with Win XP Pro and using MacBook Pro 2.4hz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram, MacOS 10.5.6 and set Ram in Windows XP, Ubuntu, Fedora to 768MB, 96MB for video ram

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You need to run Parallels Tools installation as root, or using sudo

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Ralston

Ralston Bit poster

I had hoped that you would think I had tried using SUDO. What do you mean by SUN?

It seems that installing Parallels tools has definitely a glitch with Linux operating system based on user’s problem stated in this forum. It seems also that Parallels team does not have a clear cut command that will always work for every Parallels/Mac user wishing to install Fedora 10 and Ubuntu 8.10. It looks as if I have seen about 6 that I have trued and have not worked.

Now, please provide one command that I can type in terminal, exactly as your software designers intended that I and everyone else wanting to install Parallels tools with Ubuntu 8.10 or Fedora 10, can run the on first try to work. Thank you.

Ralston

4. John@Parallels

5. jd555

jd555 Bit poster

Also having trouble w/ Parallels Tools in Fedora 10

I am also having a problem getting Parallels Tools running w/ Fedora 10.

In my case, I am running PD 3.0 (build 5608. tools version is 3.0.5068.0), so I don't know if that is expected to work w/ Fedora 10.

Here is what I did:

-- found the parallels tools vmtools-linux.iso file in /Library/Parallels/Tools
    -- used the Devices:CD/DVD ROM-1:Connect image menu option in Parallels to connect the device

I then tried to follow the instructions in:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22570.htm

-- in a Terminal window, su, unmounted and remounted the image, and then ran

sh parallels-tools.run

The integrity of the archive is verified, I say to Continue, and then get the error:

Found xorg version 1.5.3
    Installation for xorg.1.5 not found.

I'm guessing that my version of Parallels Tools doesn't support Fedora 10. Is that true? Or is there a way to work around this problem?

jd

6. xochi

xochi Member

I was able to install parallels tools in Ubuntu 8.10 by doing this:

* Choose "Install Parallels Tools" from the "Virtual Machine" menu.
    * Open a terminal window by choosing "Applications / Accessories / Terminal" from within Ubuntu.
    * type the following:
    cd /cdrom
    sudo ./install

* you will then be prompted to enter your password
    * follow the onscreen commands

This worked, and was quite easy. It's a shame the onscreen documentation doesn't tell one how to do this!

7. John@Parallels

8. xochi

xochi Member

John, you'll notice that the page you linked to does not show the easy 3-step method that I described, which works (for ubuntu at least). Perhaps you can update the documentation? Also, when you choose "install parallels tools", the dialog box also doesn't explain how to do it easily...

9. jd555

jd555 Bit poster

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 4.0 and take it from there.

I have the tools installed w/ Ubuntu 8.10 now, w/ 4.0.3540.

jd

10. dbinseattle

dbinseattle Bit poster

My solution to installing Parallels Tools in Ubuntu

I found the Help document's instructions for installing Parallels tools in Ubuntu 8.10 very unhelpful. Fortunately, after going through them several times unsuccessfully, I was able to put the experience from that together with the very simple instructions I found on this forum from xochi.

Here's what worked for me:

1) After choosing Install Parallels Tools from the Virtual Machine menu, I clicked OK (or whatever) in the first dialog to proceed.

2) In the "The CD/DVD-ROM disk is mounted inside the guest operating system." dialogI clicked "Disconnect Anyway".

3) I opened a Terminal window in Ubunty and typed mount.

4) In the Terminal window I typed cd /media/cdrom0
    ... and then
    sudo ./install

Enter your password, and then an Install window appears.

Follow the onscreen commands from that point on and it's very easy.

(This is using the latest version of Parallels Desktop 4.0 as of January 10, 2009)

11. bonimacx

bonimacx Bit poster

aargh, the moment i have to typ my password in the terminal nothing happens when i'm typing my password!
    Looks like my keyboard is not responding anymore but it is, cause i started all over in the terminal and it happened again.
    is this a kind of protection?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  12. euler

euler Bit poster

Easy Parallel Tools Install in Linux 8.10

I thought I would pass this on because I was running into roadblocks trying to install Parallel Tools in Linux on the new 4.0.
    If you are logged in as administrator(root), all you have to do is click on install after clicking on the the Parallel Tools CD icon on your desktop(which appears after you click on 'install parallel tools')and then click on run in terminal, then like magic the installation begins and goes rather quickly.

To login as root go to system/administration/users and groups. Click on root and unlock with your password. Click on properties and then set your 8 character password. Go to login window, switch user and login as root. It's a piece of cake after this. No typing in terminal required.

I hope this is helpful.

13. bonimacx

bonimacx Bit poster

thx for tryinh to help me.
    i'm using ubuntu 8.10 and got as far as switching users and trying to log in as root. I type 'root' as username and then my pasword.

The i got the message: 'the system administrator is not allowed to login from this screen'. Aaargh!

As a mac user i'm feeling like a blind man in linux ubuntu, mint and all those exotic names.

What am i doing wrong?

14. euler

euler Bit poster

Ubuntu 8.10 in Parallels 4.0

Try system/logout/switch user, and then try to log in as root with the 8-character password you set for root. Are you using Parallels 4.0? It might be different for older versions.

15. bonimacx

bonimacx Bit poster

16. John@Parallels

17. rm53

rm53 Member

@bonimacx:
    it is regarded a very bad idea to enable the root user with a password as described by one poster here.
    You render your Ubuntu installation insecure!
    (Btw, in Mac OS X root login is also disabled by default, in the same way as in Ubuntu.)
    You can do what you need to do with higher privileges by using SUDO as mentioned before several times.

Why can't all of you not simply follow the simple procedure as posted several times by John@parallels?
    It is really easy. And it works. And no need to fiddle with root.

18. bonimacx

bonimacx Bit poster

thx for replying, but as i wrote before: the moment i have to type my password in the terminal notting happens when i'm typing my password!
    Looks like my keyboard is not responding anymore but it is, cause i started all over in the terminal and ik happened again the moment i had to type my pasword.

19. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

This is normal behavior whenever you are asked for a password in a unix-like environment. You won't see any bullets or cursor movement like in a windowing system's password dialog. Just type in the password carefully and your "sudo" command should run.

20. bonimacx

bonimacx Bit poster

thx @lmhaffner,

i didn't know that.
    i finally made it.

thx all of you.