Quicken backup fails

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by pderby, Nov 21, 2008.

1. pderby

pderby Member

For some reason when I try to do a backup of my Quicken data, no Quicken Backup Dialogue box appears and no backup takes place.

Quicken was backup up files just fine in beta Parallels 4 versions up to the final release.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get Quicken running under Parallels to present the backup dialogue box and to actually start doing backups again when Quicken exiting?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

3. pderby

pderby Member

I'm already running 4.0.3540 released Nov 22, 2008. Parallels tools for release 3540 are installed. I've read through your referenced post. Nothing in the referenced post talks about Quicken backups not occurring when you exit Quicken.

4. jturn00

jturn00 Junior Member

I also have had problems with quicken. First, I have seen the backup window which backs up to a network share. (I have to fix the lettering since PD4 changed all my network drive mappings.) but I didn't get far as quicken crashed. I have had quicken crash on other occasions using it under PD4.

5. pderby

pderby Member

Just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 4.0.3810 which runs on OS X 10.5.6

Best I can tell, everything I have runs fine except the backup capability inside of Quicken. So when I quit Quicken and say to backup, I get two successive dialogue boxes asking if I want to do the backup, but they just flash by and the backup is not done.

Anyone know how to "fix" this?

6. pderby

pderby Member

Just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 4.0.3810 and Quicken backup still fails.

It seems that Quicken doesn't know there is a file system to use for backup. I'm just trying to backup the data file to the Windows XP virtual disk. The last backup that worked successfully was with a Parallels version 4 half way through beta test.

Would sure like to get Quicken's backup working again!

Anyone have any ideas?

7. John@Parallels

8. pderby

pderby Member

John,

I'm just trying to do a backup on the same virtual machine. Just a simple Quicken backup to a local file on the same Windows XP virtual machine. I'm not trying to do a network backup at all.

Paul

9. John@Parallels

Please check do you have Shared Profile enabled, if yes, try to disable it, if it still fails, I guess, contacting Quicken support may give us some more ideas

10. pderby

pderby Member

I did have "Shared Profile" enabled and disabling "Shared Profile" changes the situation. With "Shared Profile" disabled, when I launch Quicken, I have to tell quicken I'm already using Quicken and navigate to the psf// location of my Quicken data file each time. Quicken doesn't remember this path from launch to launch. However, when I quit Quicken, I do get the expected dialog box allowing me to specify my backup location and to backup up Quicken.

Something changed during the construction of Parallels 4. For the first few beta releases Quicken worked just fine with "Shared Profile" enabled and the backup dialogue box appeared. With the last 2 beta releases and the most recent Parallels 4 update, the backup dialog box does not appear when exiting Quicken with "Shared Profile" enabled.

So with this information, I hope that Parallels 4 can be fixed so that Quicken is happy with the environment with "Shared Profile" enabled. It is a pain to have to navigate to the Quicken data file everytime Quicken is launched.

I suppose I could put the main Quicken file on the Virtual Machine side instead of leaving it on the Mac side.... but that should not matter, should it?

11. pderby

pderby Member

Here is the behavior that I'm seeing:

If both the Quicken data file and the Quicken backup files are stored in the "os x" file system using Quicken's "Shared Profile" then Quicken backup fails. In this situation the path to both the data files and the backup files is \\.PSF\Home\Documents\Quicken...

If I move the Quicken data file from the "OS X" file system to the "Windows XP" file system, then Quicken runs just fine and the backups work just fine to the \\.PSF\... directory.

The unknown, to me, is why Quicken isn't able to backup to a \\.PSF\... directory when the Quicken data file is in the same directory path.

During the initial testing of Parallels Ver 4 I could have both the Quicken data files and the Quicken backup files on the OS X file system and access both using what Parallels calls "Shared Profile" which boils down to using \\.PSF\... file paths. Only with the last 2 beta releases and the last 2 post beta releases of Parallels did this start to fail.

As a side note, not sure why Parallels picked the term "Shared Profile". Seems like "Shared Directories" would have been more descriptive.

12. John@Parallels

There is another term Share Folders,
    Backup Quicken to the root of c: and then copy it to Mac OS side,