keyboard in PD4.0 sometimes quirky

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Techhead156, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Techhead156

Techhead156 Hunter

When switching back and forth between vm and mac, the keyboard behaves strange in the vm.. for example double click on my computer on the desktop opens up System properties.

Restart of the vm is the solution, but i remember this sort of wired keyboard issues happen in 3.0 as well.... Will future updates to Parallels fix this? or am I doomed to see "as and when it happens."

I agree Parallels is probably working hard on other "top-priority" features, but this has been happening for as long as I can remember. Thing is this doesn't always happen, so Parallels will most likely push it away in the corner.

2. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

Please... DO NOT push this into a corner if you are reading (Parallels)... this is driving me crazy today.

The issue is that the CTRL key gets "stuck" down, even though it is not stuck down in the host OS X. PD3 had a nice "Swap CMD / CTRL" option, which has gone in PD4... and now I can't use CMD for CTRL in windows, since I get all sorts of issues.

HELP!

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

4. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

Yes, the release has solved the "sticky" key and also the ability to do use the CMD key as the CTRL key for selecting in Windows lists.

But it has not re-instated the ability to use CMD/Q or CMD/W with the check box selected for letting Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts override. I can't imagine why anyone would turn that off, because in Coherence mode CMD/TAB is possibly the most important key combination of all.

But at least it is now workable... I guess it's not too hard to key ALT/F4 or CMD/F4 to close a windows window. But it is still a bug, so it would be nice to have this reported. Fusion allows the use of CMD/Q... I guess when Mac OS X sends Fusion the CMD/Q instruction to quit, Fusion checks the keyboard settings and if the key combination is mapped, it ignores the Mac OS X request to quit, and sends the mapped key combination to the VM.

(But I still prefer Parallels over Fusion and still use Parallels).