V 4.0: Gaming (DirectX 9)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Tw0Bit, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Tw0Bit

Tw0Bit Bit poster

The new version of parallels (4.0) apparently supports DX 9. I've tried playing Half-Life 2 on it and it doesn't work. It says that my video card is DirectX 8.1 and it usually crashes in no time after starting. Half-Life 2 is even a supported game: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/features/3d/ if you look under the "games and apps" tab.

What's the deal? I even have trouble with some 3D programs I use that are on the supported list.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please make sure that you install Parallels Tools,
    Half-Life 2 is supported

3. Tw0Bit

Tw0Bit Bit poster

I reinstalled Parallels Tools and tried running Half-Life 2 again. I got the same warning saying that my video card wasn't supported. I tried to play anyways with terrible performance...I had everything on low. I had my VM set up with 2 gigs of RAM and 128 mb of video memory. That is more than enough for HL2. Any other suggestions? thanks

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Just tried it for sure today, it is working,
    Probably something is with VM,
    Please, for test, install new VM, Parallels Tools , and HL2

5. Tw0Bit

Tw0Bit Bit poster

You are saying to install a new virtual machine? Would I have to delete my current virtual machine to do so? Isn't that going to be a big pain?

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

First check Virtual Machine Configuration > Video and make sure 3D acceleration is turned on. Also make sure you are using the most recent build of Parallels. And there is no need to delete your existing VM, if you are using the latest build and it doesn't work then John just wants you to try making a new VM (you can create as many VMs as you want) to make sure that something in your existing VM is the problem.

7. Tw0Bit

Tw0Bit Bit poster

Wow, creating a new virtual machine did help...I was surprised. I can run HL2 and finally my Solidworks doesn't lag...thanks a lot! And thankfully I didn't have to call Microsoft to activate...thanks so much