MIDI on PARALLES

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DJ-GROBE, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member

The best way right now to implement MIDI, is just buy this software:

MOLCP
    http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

I think PARALLES team should make somthing like this, but just conecting to IAC (virtual midi port on OSX), on that way is possible route midi on both directions OSX TO WINDOWS - WINDOWS TO OSX

And for routing AUDIO fom windows to OSX i think PARALLELS TEAM shoud make some deal with propellerhaeds for rewire, or write some driver for route audio from windows to any software inside osx.

This 2 ways can be the best usefull ways for PRO producers (specially the midi way)

I hoppe some day we see MIDI implemented.... i seevery interesant info in the job section of PARALLES, this show they really have interest on MIDI and AUDIO pro AREA:

http://www.parallels.com/about/careers/eu/

Responsibilities
    Devices team. The responsibilities of a team-member include development of a software model of existing physical devices to function within virtual machines (netcards, videocards, USB devices, soundcards, SCSI controllers, etc.). The team as well deals with the development and adaptation of EFI BIOS codes. The members of the team should have experience in working with hardware and developing drivers for various OSes, such as Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista, Linux and Mac.
    Basic Qualifications

* Higher education/ incomplete education
    * Strong command and experience of C/C++ programming
    * Programming skills in Windows, Linux/Unix or Mac OS X environment

Earlier Experience in one of the following fields:

* Experience in programming DirectSound3d sound subsystems and/or EAX and/or MIDI/ASIO
    * Experience in working with hardware on a basic level (programming through ports, tuning devices). Assembler programming experience. Strong knowledge of x86 architecture. Knowledge of PCI logical arrangement.
    * Knowledge of FireWire logical arrangement
    * Experience in programming IDE/SATA/SCSI controller
    * Experience in working with USB for Windows/Linux/Mac

job@parallels.com
    С/С++ developer

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. Famous Audio

Famous Audio Bit poster

I know a way

My engineer found a way i have been using it for 4 mths routing audio and midi thru parallels to logic and pro tools on the mac side reply to this post and i will give you a walk thru

3. Jamica

Jamica Bit poster

Midi Implementation with Parallels

Famous Audio ! How did you route Midi to Logic through Parallels on the Mac Side?

4. psenough

psenough Bit poster

midi, osc and audio is streamable by lan, but its an ugly hack. if you can live with a few more miliseconds of latency its ok, but it somehow feels like one would be better off routing across the real lan to an extra machine and use the extra free processor power and set of inputs; having to set things up on both sides of the OS to make it work everytime you want to get some sound going can get quite annoying.

plus, without the firewire support, using any external soundcards is a disapointment under parallels.

eagerly waiting for the day to be able to use multi OS sound apps seamlessly under just one machine. *sigh*

5. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Yeah, the musiclab MIDI over ethernet product works very well. While I do most of my MIDI work on the Mac, there are a couple of very interesting soft synths and other tools that are only available under Windows. It would certainly be nice to have access to them directly --- parallels would need to support transport of both MIDI and Audio

6. devbot

devbot Bit poster

Famous Audio: How did you route midi from OSX to Parallels? I'm very interested.

7. PatriceT

PatriceT Bit poster

I'm still using V5, and I won't upgrade Parallels until MIDI is supported.