files and folders missing on HFS disk

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sanjin, Dec 29, 2008.

1. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

This is my configuration.

- iMac 24
    - Mac OS X (10.5.6)
    - Parallels 4 (upgraded from Parallels 3)
    - Windows XP Pro SP2 (upgraded to SP3)

This is my problem.

I'm in Mac OS. I create new folder on HFS disk. Then I create new folder inside that folder and keep duplicating it until there are at least 700 folders inside. Let's round this to exactly 700 for this example. Then I switch to Parallels Windows and do a folder count - it says 696 objects!? How?!

Here are the details.

Then I go back to Mac and move this to memory stick that is FAT formatted. I go back to Windows and check that same folder on memory stick - it says 700 objects. That's OK. Then I move it back to HFS disk (now the other one that is external) and it says - 696 objects again?! If I move around this main folder (inside which are all other folders) through the Windows there will be some folders missing on the target location after the transfer. Huh... do I have to notice that this thing (bug?) is DANGEROUS?! I noticed this problem accidentaly when I was looking for one project folder among hundreds of other projects folders. This was under Windows. I couldn't find the particular folder so I tried with Mac OS and then I found it. This is when I started with testing.

The conclusion?

I think something is wrong in Parallels 4 with HFS. Because I didn't had that problem in Parallels 3. I don't know what will happend with other version of Windows, or Linux, or any other OS. Parallels team should do a base test and see the things for itself. However, all other people could to the test with empty folders and reply here the result. In the meantime I will reformat external HFS disk to FAT.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are aware about this case and working to resolve situation

3. sanjin

sanjin Junior Member

I just updated Parallels to 4.0.3810 and tested this issue. It seems there is no problem anymore. Can you please confirm this was on todo list so I can be sure that this update fixed this?

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes, it was, Shared folder driver was updated