Print questions in 4.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kmacard, Jan 7, 2009.

1. kmacard

kmacard Member

Since upgrading my Parallels Desktop to 4.0, I can no longer print from my MacBook to the shared Mac printer. It worked perfectly under Bonjour with PD3. Now I upgraded but can't remember how it should all be configured. PD4 and Leopard are both the most current versions. Hopefully someone can set me straight. This is my setup:

Epson RX680 connected via USB to my iMac and is shared on our wireless network. (Sharing works that way just fine with second MacBook and XP computer.)

My MacBook is connected via Airport to the network. From the Mac side, I can print to the shared Epson printer.

On PD, I am using Win2000 Pro SP4. Networking is set to Shared Networking. I have installed the HP 8500 driver as instructed. I have installed the latest Bonjour and set that up as directed.

OK, so now, in Windows print dialog windows I show the HP printer AND the Epson printer. Which one do I select? Which one should be default?

At the bottom of the PD window for the printer icon, do I select Epson or the default printer?

I have tried various combinations with no luck at all. I just need to know which one is correct?

Printing under this same scenario worked great under PD3. It also works fine, even under 4.0, on my desktop iMac (that is connected to the printer by USB, though.)

I also have a Time Capsule that handles the network. I mainly don't have the printer physically connected to it because the cable won't stretch that far. :) So, instead, it is connected directly to the iMac and shared from there.

Is there ANY way to get my printing working on my MacBook with PD4?? I use AVG8 FREE anti-virus. Is that causing a problem? I used it also under PD3 with no issues, but, then, I don't understand these things.

Thanks to any and all that can answer my questions/cry for help. :)

Kathy

2. zkeith

zkeith Junior Member

Kathy, I'm sorry you are still having trouble with your printer. Although I don't fully understand your configuration because I don't use bonjour, I looked in the user's guide and found several pages with different configuration possibilities. Here is the link to the user's guide:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide.pdf

I believe the first page dealing with printer configuration is page 115.

I hope this helps.

3. kmacard

kmacard Member

Thanks, zkeith, for trying to help me. The thing is, I've read and followed those directions exactly. Printing used to work great in 3, but after switching to 4, it no longer works for me. I will keep trying to find a solution. Maybe a member of the Parallel's team could chime in?

4. zkeith

zkeith Junior Member

Kathy, is there a reason to use AVG8 rather than Kaspersky that comes with Parallels Desktop? I've been reasonably pleased with Kaspersky. Also, do you use the printer drivers suggested in the user's manual rather than the ones specifically for your printers?

5. kmacard

kmacard Member

No, not really. Only because it is one that I've used for a long time, under the recommendation of the computer tech at my husband's office. How do I access the Kaspersky stuff? I haven't seen anything with my download of version 4.

6. zkeith

zkeith Junior Member

Kathy, from the Parallels Desktop toolbar that is displayed at the top of your monitor, click on "Virtual Machine" and then on "Install Parallels Internet Security." You may have to uninstall AVG8 before you install Kaspersky. I've seen other Parallel users have issues with AVG8.

If you decide to install Kaspersky, when you set your firewall settings, set it at the Training Level rather than the High Level. I'm having an issue with a message I get with regard to the firewall setting. It is more annoying than anything as all I have to do is click on "OK," and the message disappears.

7. kmacard

kmacard Member

I know why I'm not seeing it ......on checking in Help, it is only available to WinXP and Vista and I'm using 2000Pro. BUT, I have purchased XP and am planning to install it today so then I will try it out. Thank you for your help! It would be something if my problem was indeed caused by AVG!

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is AVG which prevents communication,
    Also Sharing Mac printer is a good choice, but please uninstall all drivers from Windows first

You can share any printer connected to you Mac with your Windows or Linux virtual machine. The printer will be available through the virtual machine's parallel port.

To share your Mac's printer:

Launch Parallels Desktop and open the virtual machine.
    Open the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog by choosing Configure from the Virtual Machine menu. Make sure that the configuration includes a parallel port. If necessary, add it. See Adding a Parallel Port.
    In the Parallel Port pane, make sure that the Enabled option is selected. Select Connected, if you want the printer to be automatically connected on the virtual machine startup.
    Select the Printer option. You can choose a specific printer from the printers list or use the Default printer option if you want to use the default printer set in Mac OS X.
    Click OK to close Virtual Machine Configuration.
    Start the virtual machine.
    In a Windows guest OS, if you have Parallels Tools installed, the HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer is automatically connected to your virtual machine and you can use it at once. In a Linux guest OS or if you do not have Parallels Tools installed in your Windows guest OS, no matter what type of printer you have, install either the HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS, or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer driver and then follow the procedure of adding a printer in a guest OS described bellow.
    Warning: Do not install the driver from the installation CD, supplied with your printer, in the virtual machine.

Adding a printer in a Windows guest operating systems
    To add a printer in a Windows guest OS:

Start the Windows virtual machine and log in as administrator.
    Open the Windows Start menu, select Control Panel.
    In the Control Panel window, select the Printers and Faxes (or Printers, or Printers and Other Hardware) item.
    Open the Add Printer wizard:
    In Windows XP click the Add a printer link.
    In Windows 95 /98 /NT /ME /2000 /2003 double-click the Add printer icon.
    In the Add Printer wizard:
    In Windows Vista:
    - click Add a local printer,
    - select Use an existing port and click Next.
    In Windows 2000 /XP /2003:
    - click Next in the wizard's first dialog,
    - in the Local or Network Printer dialog, click Local printer attached to this computer.
    In Windows 98/ME:
    - click Next in the wizard's first dialog,
    - for the How is this printer attached to your computer? select the Local printer option.
    In Windows 95/NT:
    - click Local printer.

9. kmacard

kmacard Member

OK. I will dump AVG and try Kaspersky when my invitation to get it comes to me since my upgrade to PD4.

Another question though ....... will the method you outlined above work for my situation as the printer is not physically connected to my laptop? The printer is connected by USB to my desktop computer but the laptop uses it wirelessly as a shared printer. So, do I still need to use Bonjour to connect to the printer?

Thank you for your patience and your help!

10. John@Parallels

When printer is recognized in Mac OS, and working method will work

11. apetrovic

apetrovic Bit poster

I have an iMac with a Brother MFC-8300 Printer attached via USB.

I followed your instructions for the Vista setup and I get the following error:

- I click print from IE on Vista.
    - The page is sent to the mac.
    - The printer opens and shows the document spooling.
    - Then a raster message comes up and the document/printer is stopped.
    - I click resume and nothing happens.

How do I resolve this communication error?
    Thanks
    Alek

12. John@Parallels

Are you able to print from Wordpad, notepad from Windows side?

13. kmacard

kmacard Member

Good luck, Alex! I started this thread and STILL do not have printing from my WinXP virtual machine. I started out with Win2000. but upgraded to XP. That didn't do it. I was told, on this forum, to get rid of AVG because that was the problem. I uninstalled AVG and installed Kaspersky. That wasn't the problem. No joy in the printing area with PD4 for me .....but it worked fine in version 3! Unlike your situation, printing works fine for me with my computer connected directly via USB ......it is just the laptops connected wirelessly to that same shared Mac printer that will not print. I have the same thing happen ....the printer is seen, the job spools, but sits there in the print queue with the printer paused and it will not resume. Very frustrating!

14. John@Parallels