Which version of XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gwalshe, Jan 2, 2009.

1. gwalshe

gwalshe Bit poster

I need to run XP Pro via Parallels on my iMac (10.5). I want to know which version of XP to get. I hear talk about OEM not being valid. Should I be looking for a full retail version? What specifically should I purchase?

Also, can someone point me to where I should go to get this?

Sorry for the basic questions... I'm a noob to this :)

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/sr/ here you will see list of supported OSes
    Yes you are correct you are not able to install OEM version of Windows due Microsoft policy.
    You need purchase the Microsoft Installation disk (not upgrade one)

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

3. gwalshe

gwalshe Bit poster

Any suggestions on where is the best place to buy the XP Pro install disk(s)?

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

You may purchase it at any store with Windows installation disks. So it does not matter where you will purchase it.

5. gwalshe

gwalshe Bit poster

What about a DSP version Will this work?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Do you mean OEM for System builders, please refer to DSP description,

7. gwalshe

gwalshe Bit poster

I'm not really sure. I am an individual user that wants to install windows XP Pro and run in Parallels. I want to make sure I end up buying the correct OS version. New to windows, so, not really sure the diff between, OEN, DSP, Retail.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

8. John@Parallels

Just post here the link to DSP you mentioned

9. kmacard

kmacard Member

For those of us who are ignorant on this subject, what is DSP?

And WILL an OEM for System Builders work in Parallels? I can buy that here locally but can't seem to find copies of XP.

Thank you!

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

DSP or for System Builders will work, you just won't be able to transfer it to another computer and be sure to stick the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) on your Mac.

11. kmacard

kmacard Member

OK. Thank you for that info. I don't know much about Windows, though. Does this mean that when i buy a new Mac and transfer all my data over to it, that my Windows XP under Parallels will no longer work? Would it be any different in that scenario, if i bought the regular Home version of XP, if I can find it? When you say stick on the COA, you mean literally?

12. John@Parallels

There is a licensing question, and question if Windows you are using is OEM, it probably bind to some hardware, and yo will not be able to transfer it

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

14. kmacard

kmacard Member

OK, thank you for explaining that. Now I know. :) .......So, the MS Police might come to my house and check? LOL Just joking. I'll attach the COA.

15. John@Parallels

It may be the serious case if you are using it at work

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

DSP and/or for smal system builders is perfectly legal at work. The logic is that whoever sold you it installed it on the system.

17. kmacard

kmacard Member

Well, I'm not. It was just a little bit of humor......very little, evidently. Don't worry, John. I am totally legal.

18. John@Parallels

I do not mean you anyway