After updating to build 3810 I need to (re?) activate, key not working

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by wmit, Jan 8, 2009.

1. wmit

wmit Bit poster

Hello Everybody,

First of all, after going through a lot of trouble of updating to 4.0 back in November '08, I finally got my virtual machines running again at acceptable speed. (Please keep in mind that I have a _fast_ Mac Pro, and really was very annoyed by the whole 3.0->4.0 upgrade mess).

Anyway, I was happy again until today....

After updating using the 'check for updates' button, I installed the new build 3810. After a succesful update procedure, I tried to start one of my Virtual Machines. It directly gave me the message that "Your copy of Parallels Desktop is not activated.". It is urging me to activate the product, or I cannot use it. Well, not a problem I thought... howver it is not accepting my original key!

I do not know why, but I cannot activate the software with my own key, which is _very_ _VERY_ annoying. Of course I opened a ticket for a solution. My ticket number is [Parallels #654852]. The predicted response ETA is 3 days?!?!

You want me to wait for three days, after paying for a product which contained more than a few problems?!
    I expect a quick response, I am loyal customer (I own a licence of Parallels since version 2). Withouth a working Parallels I can't work, which is poses a big problem for me.

So I would very much like to ask you to _please_ supply me with a solution. Below you'll find the original reference and keys of all the versions I bought. I ommitted the last segment in order to post these keys here (withouth anyone abusing them..)

Thank you!
    Kind regards from Amsterdam,
    Willem

Element 5 reference number 239259215 (Parallels 4)
    My upgrade activation key (last section omitted for forum usage):
    PXRSP3-RJN8NB-P0KHNE-W09N4H-??????

Element 5 reference number 130637815 (Parallels 3)
    My 3.0 key: 6K572-22TWF-LFPSL-69N3U-?????

Original order number for Parallels 2: 1172482368-11179-519909
    4EPWS-GXGR2-LEPR8-J4MB4-??????

2. m3thnz

m3thnz Bit poster

Same problem here, I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 back when it came out. Installed 3810 and now I need to "activate" before I can start any virtual machines. None of my keys work. I have a support request in--we'll see how long this takes.

3. Randall Smock

Randall Smock Bit poster

Same problems here, upgrade in November, updated today, forced re-activation (this has to be intentional) doesn't accept the key that I got from Element 5 (though it worked previously)

4. Randall Smock

Randall Smock Bit poster

what are the odds of this?

Dear Randall Smock,

Thank you for upgrading to Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0! To use your 3.0
    activation key, you must have the previous version of Parallels Desktop for
    Mac already activated. Your Upgrade activation key will not activate the
    previous version of the software.

YOUR UPGRADE ACTIVATION KEY: PXRSP3-RJN8NB-P0KHNE-W09N4H-S----T

I added some dashes but the first part of my key matches yours and I doubt Parallels is doing serial serials.

5. thomaskenne

thomaskenne Bit poster

I have the same serial no. and cannot activate my product.

What the.... This sounds bad.

6. jarruda

jarruda Bit poster

Yet another one

Upgraded 3.0 to 4.0 when launched, since yesterday with the 3810 build, system is asking for reactivation.
    Checked licenses.xml and 3.0 + 4.0 upgrade keys are there already.
    Opened a case yesterday via web, but didn't receive any update via email on the problem.

7. cmdenton

cmdenton Bit poster

Same Problem

My story is the same as everybody. I keep all my Activation Info for software in a notebook program where I paste in the actual email receipt I got at the time. I noticed the date on it (11/11/08) and when I went to the emails for that date I found a second email from Parallels Inc saying that the Activation Code that I (and many others) received earlier was incorrect. When I tried that code just a few minutes ago that worked and Windows is now running.

8. dbrowniefl

dbrowniefl Bit poster

Same Issue, Have not later e-mail!

I did the upgrade and also tried the code from the e-mail and it does not work. I have no later e-mail saved and in fact when I backed up the software to disk, I printed the code (the one that doesn't work) on the disk. Have called Tech Support and help is 24-48 hours away! Question, are all my programs in the previous version on 4.0 still saved?

9. cmdenton

cmdenton Bit poster

Question of dbrowniefl

Have you checked your registered products for a Parallels 4 code?

10. Randall Smock

Randall Smock Bit poster

Not certain where I could check registered products; even if I had directly registered, I purchased this license from Parallels, kept the original email and installed with the code in it; only after loading this latest update did this become a problem; its been over a day and the only information in my support ticket is that which I have placed in it. I've placed the same comments/complaints in the support ticket, I've had to borrow a Windows laptop and import some of my VM's into VMWare to continue using them, Parallels has the ease of use I have come to expect from Mac systems but licensing should be the easiest thing to deal with and as I stated I have had no reply; 15 minutes after asking I got a eval license from VMware, the next time I am asked to pay for an upgrade my money might very well go elsewhere.

11. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Same problem over here :-(

12. rgilmartin

rgilmartin Bit poster

Same problem here!

It's bad enough we have to deal with Windows - now we have Windows and Parallels! None of my keys work; I had to get a 'temporary key' just to keep working!

Logged a problem (id=28359), but these guys get slower and slower in responding.

VMWare, here I come.

13. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

14. scottct1

scottct1 Bit poster

I got an email from support not to long ago...

I purchased my 4.0 upgrade as soon as I got the email that it was available. I don't know how I got into a "batch of customers" who happened to get the same key. It would have been nice if the folks at Parallels contacted me when they deactivated the old key and sent me a new key. I don't understand why I was penalized when it was Parallels fault for giving out the same key to more then one person, as I said I paid my fee.

The good news is Windows 7 is working great for me so far on my Macbook Pro. :)

15. Kevin David

Kevin David Junior Member

I was sort of in that situation when version 4 came out. I was able to register it fine and was going about my business just fine. Out of the blue they e-mailed me a key a couple days after I bought the product explaining to me that they had sent out the same license key to a bunch of customers.

Perhaps they just missed you?

16. kairgid

kairgid Bit poster

Same here, posted this to the "technical support" and after 48 hours no one has still gotten back to me. Great work guys, bugger our installations with crap updates and then don't fix it with support.

Seems I have a "bad key" too... can someone from Technical support email me and get me a new key that works!!!!! I paid for this product and I want to use it.

Sincerely, a PO'd customer!

17. kairgid

kairgid Bit poster

same here!!!

18. marinegirl

marinegirl Bit poster

Exactly the same problem here. Been running with no problems until the upgrade, now I need to 're-activate' and my key (from my original e-mail, a couple of months ago) doesn't work.

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven