Shared Folders \\.PSF\.Home not accessible

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by signal, Sep 11, 2008.

1. signal

signal Junior Member

I cannot access shared folders from my XP VM. First let me explain:

I re-installed Parallels Tools, the LONG way, and I did this a few times. I did:
    Uninstall Parallels tools
    Removed Parallels Desktop from Mac
    Repair Disk Permissions
    Reboot
    Install Parallels Desktop on Mac
    Repair Disk Permissions
    Run VM
    Reinstall Parallels Tools; Reboot

I have tried sharing just my Home Folder, as well as all mac folders.
    I also tried to click in the lower right corner and choosing "Connect"

I also tried, before deleting the tools, removing the desktop link, disconnecting all network shares, and removing the desktop link in the parallels dir in program files.

I do not have virus scan software on my mac or windows. I am at my wits end however, I don't understand why this is not working.

when I goto My Computer, there is a network drive Y: and thats my mac home folder.

I searched for every post on this forum dealing with shared folders and nothing has helped me with this. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know. I am running Build 5608 on OSX 10.5 with all updates installed.

Brian

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to disconnect all network drives from My Computer, remove Parallels Shared Foldrs shortcut from Desktop and from c:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools, restart VM,

3. signal

signal Junior Member

John, I tried that, and was very hopeful it would work but did not. I then re-installed Parallels Tools, and that still didn't work. There is gotta be something that is out of sync or preventing this from working. Like I said, I get a Y: drive that I can access fine, but nothing with \\.PST works.

4. John@Parallels

Did you assigned letters for Shared Folders in Configuration Editor,
    Please also check Mac OS side firewall

5. signal

signal Junior Member

Under osx my firewall is set to "allow all connections" (which means its off). I did not assign drive letters in configuration editor, I enabled folder sharing, clicked "Home Folder" button, or even all mac drives, either way and it makes the shortcut, etc, it assigns Y: to my home as I can see that in my computer, but none of the .PST shortcuts work

6. John@Parallels

Antivirus in VM may prevent access,
    Are you able to open network drives -Y, etc?

7. signal

signal Junior Member

There is no anti-virus in the VM, no anti-virus in the osx, no host firewall enabled in either.

I have opened a formal ticket with parallels (incident support) and was not able to fix this issue, so now it is being escalated I believe.

To answer your question, yes I can navigate the Y drive, however clicking on the desktop icon which then reveals the .Home and .Mac shares, produces an error when I click on either of them. Also my drag and drop is very intermittent, I get errors alot with it, and notice sometimes I have to goto "Connect Drives" again in the lower right of my VM window. There is obviously something very wierd here.

8. John@Parallels

Yes, something wrong indeed,
    Try to perform virus scan on Vm, using cureit.exe from drweb.com

9. signal

signal Junior Member

This is a clean install of XP, with only MS Project, MS Visio, Putty and Solarwinds Tools installed. All licensed versions installed from CD. I installed the drweb software, it found nothing. I then installed Trend Micro officescan, updated to latest virus DB and it found nothing as well.

Brian

10. John@Parallels

IS Virtual Machine in Active Directory?
    If yes, are you using local account or AD account?
    If yes, is AD account in local administrators group?

11. signal

signal Junior Member

John,

No its not in AD, I am not trying to do anything over the top like that. Just an XP install, upgrade to SP3, install other updates, and really no programs added. If it helps, this VM was moved over from VMware via Transporter. I use a local account to logon, account is a local administrator, computer is set to workgroup called WORKGROUP. My ticket is still open with Parallels as #588095.

Brian

12. John@Parallels

Ok, I see the ticket
    We will try to contact you today

13. av8r

av8r Bit poster

I was having similar issue where I could not see \\.PSF\.Home in my new VMs but
    it was in my old VM. It suddenly dawned on me that I did not install the Parallels VM Tools.
    Once I did that and rebooted, it worked fine.

I think there should be some way to detect and let the user know that if you try to
    mount \\.PSF\.Home and Parallels Tools are not installed then one should install it.

OR

Perhaps a bubble notification in the task area, when the user logs in.

14. signal

signal Junior Member

I am the original poster.

For the record, it was a very complex issue. It was an epic tech support ticket, and in the end, they basically were not able to fix it. It was from a VM I brought in from vmware. I ended up having to rebuild a new VM from scratch. Developers, etc were involved in this ticket and they had said they never saw something like this before.

15. jgeidel

jgeidel Bit poster

Possible connection with problem from MS KB #303650?

The problem might be related to a problem in Windows where intranet sites are incorrectly identified as internet sites, such that accessing them prompts for credentials, which can't be provided by programs trying to access the shared folders. See Microsoft Knowledgebase article 303650.

I had problems with a setup program for Quicken which could not access \\.PSF\.Home\Documents. I was using the latest Parallels Desktop build (4.0.3810). Also, when double clicking the "Eigene Dateien" ("My documents" in English?), I got a warning from Internet Explorer (!) that there was an unspecified security risk when opening this folder. Searching for the text of this message led me to the MS knowledge base article.

I don't know which of the following steps are actually necessary to solve the problem:
    - I moved \\.PSF\ to the "Local Intranet" zone of the Internet security configuration in Windows as suggested in the Microsoft knowledge base article. Parallels adds the shared folders to the "Trusted Sites". I was prompted if I wanted to move the path to "Local Intranet", and confirmed.
    - I removed the shortcuts to the Parallels Shared Folders from the Desktop and from C:\Programs\Parallels\Parallels Tools as suggested by John.
    - I activated the "Shared Profile" and all of its options in the VM configuration.
    - I reinstalled the Parallels Tools (which may have been unnecessary). This also rebooted the VM.

After this, I was able to run the Quicken installation program, and the Internet Explorer warning when opening "Eigene Dateien" is no longer shown.

HTH,
    Joachim Geidel

16. uidepara

uidepara Hunter

\\.psf\ accessibility

I had a hard time with this. Finally the problem turned out to be the shared folders driver and the dll:
    The dll belonged to version 3804 and the driver to 3810.
    I shutdown the disk, mounted it with Parallels Mounter, deleted all drivers and dlls belonging to Parallels Tools in C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\System32\drivers and deleted the logs and setup programs in C:\Windows\Temp. Afterwards I deleted the Parallels folder in C:\Program Files.
    Restarted and installed Parallels Tools again.
    This did the job!!! Shares are back.

17. adrianr8

adrianr8 Bit poster

Windows firewall fixed my problem

I had this problem also and windows firewall ended up being my problem. I turned it off and my desktop came back with no errors. For those who have the same problem, try tweaking your windows firewall or disabling it completely.