Hotfix 3810 breaks Sound Forge 9.0e

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LivePsy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. LivePsy

LivePsy Bit poster

Hi,

I have been using Sony Sound Forge 9.0e on Windows XP SP3 without problems with Parallels 4.0.3540, but the latest hotfix 4.0.3810 causes problem with Sound Forge (although not the bundled CD Architect). I've done a few experiments and if I stop the new version updating the Paralells Tools then Sound Forge runs fine, but won't run after updating the Tools. Attached is the error I get trying to start Sound Forge and the error when trying to reinstall it. Trust me, I am logged in as Admistrator which is part of the Administrator group and there are no actual permission problems at all.

Sound Forge is the only reason I use Parallels so this is important to me, but I am pleased to see that the newer version doesn't delay the Mac OS shutdown and audio otherwise seems better.

Fortunately its only a VM so I can go back to the previous 4.0.3540 and use a backup copy!

Regards,
    B

Attached Files:

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Is there a way to create test new VM, and install Sound Forge on it.
    this will narrow down the problem.

3. LivePsy

LivePsy Bit poster

Hi John,

Upgraded Parallels to 4.0.3810 then created a new Windows XP SP2 VM off the original Microsoft CD. No connection to the Internet and no updates. Then ran the Sound Forge 9.0e installer and got the system administrator privileges error in the attached screen shot. This is all legit paid-for and clean software.

Please note that I can run my older VM with Sound Forge on 4.0.3810 *IF* I don't let Parallels update the Parallels Tools. I think that is where the bug lies.

Hope you can identify this issue for future updates - Parallels 4 is starting to feel really solid other than this problem.

Regards,
    B

Attached Files:

4. John@Parallels

Please disable shared profile on test VM

5. dylanharris

dylanharris Member

I'm using Sound Forge 9.0e under XP in Parallels 3810. I don't have a problem starting the program and doing simple tasks; I use Sound Forge mainly to clean up voice recordings. I keep most of the fancy Parallels shared stuff, including Shared Profiles, turned off because I find it gets in the way. I've stopped using Coherence in 3810 because it breaks the Windows task bar. I hope that helps.

6. John@Parallels

My post was related to installation on test VM

7. LivePsy

LivePsy Bit poster

Shared Profile was already off in the new VM.

8. John@Parallels