Silent start in coherence and trash integration

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by slimemold, Jan 7, 2009.

1. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

I noticed recently that these features were recent additions to Parallels 4?

What exactly IS silent start in coherence? I don't see any difference at all when starting up my WinXP VM, and I always make it start up in coherence. I also don't see any settings related to this in Parallels preferences, or VM configuration.

Also, I assume trash integration means you can drag windows files into the OSX trash can, but I can't do this. I also don't see any settings related to this in Parallels preferences or VM configuration.

What's the deal?

2. chabig

chabig Hunter

Good questions. I see the same thing as you...no difference.

3. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

I'm so glad that someone else is puzzled by this. At the same time, I was also hoping that I was just stupid and missed something obvious.

Surely, the devs know what this is all about. Come on...this post has been here for days. Someone from the dev team please answer!

4. mydanes

mydanes Member

Silent start in coherence means if you for example open a .xls file from your Finder window it 'used' to open the VM

NOW - it opens the vm in the background (silently) and in coherence and you get your .xls opened in this example Hope this helps!!

5. chabig

chabig Hunter

I guess I still don't understand what you mean by "opens the vm in the background (silently)." When I have a vm operating in coherence and I suspend it, the next time I launch that vm it opens a big window with a resume progress bar. That's not silent.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Because it was suspended, in case if VM is stopped, it will run in background - not visible by default

7. chabig

chabig Hunter

Well my vm is certainly visible while it resumes. There is a big window with a progress bar--hardly silent! Once the machine resumes, however, it goes back to coherence mode.

I would prefer not to see the big window at all while the vm is resuming.

8. biglar

biglar Pro

9. John@Parallels

Yes, please pay attention to fact when VM will start not resume

10. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

I have come to this thread where my problems are related, but not exactly the same.

Silent start:
    I also would like to have a silent start up. And I would like to have it for the following situation: I use my VM in full screen mode, but if the machine starts up - being it from a full boot or stand-by - I really would like it to start up SILENTLY in the background - especially when booting. As it is now I click my VM to start, immediately change to another Mac application, and then Parallels with the booting window pops up several times. And I see no reason for Parallels to do that since it is only the boot screen.

Trash integration:
    I am correct that there is no trash integration of network drives - meaning drives that I share from Mac OS to the VM and that I use inside the VM? From what I see is that if I delete a file from inside my VM on network/shared drives, the file is permanently gone.
    I really would like to have some kind of solution where the Trash Integration means that such files are not lost and can either be retrieved in the trash bin of the VM or Mac OS.

11. John@Parallels

In case of network systems are using network redirector from OS, it is not from Parallels, it is OS design

You are warned with red dialog in this case

12. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

1) I have never gotten a "red dialog" warning. Where are the settings for that?

2) I think I dont understand the fact that the trash bin is a matter of OS design. It means there is no way for ParalllelsTools to cut in if something in XP gets deleted on a network drive?

3) Please also react to my request of my previous post on the silent start up.

Thank you.

13. John@Parallels