Incredible slow startup / shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mattsb, Nov 27, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

2. claco

claco Junior Member

"I upgraded to Parallels 4.0 last night, and now my XP boot time take minutes. I've turned off SmartMount, Shared Folder, etc"

Started by turning that off already.

3. claco

claco Junior Member

More Symptoms

A little more on the slowness of my 4.x upgrade.

When I boot XP, prl_vm_app spikes both CPUs to 100%, which I assume is the cause if the long boot times.
    Windows event log shows no errors, and the Device Manager shows no problems with any of the devices.

If I hit F8 when XP starts to boot to get to the Advanced Options Menu, prl_vm_app spikes ONE of my cpus to 100%. That seems broken, even before XP starts to load.

If I choose Safe mode, as soon as agp440.sys loads, both host CPUs jump to 100%.

4. claco

claco Junior Member

Also

If I boot into Safe Mode or VGA Mode, both CPUS stay spiked at 100%, even after boot.

5. John@Parallels

6. claco

claco Junior Member

Submitted. Although, In firefox 2, the description box on the ticket form was all the way at the bottom of the page, and when it previewed the ticket, now description was shown.

7. claco

claco Junior Member

Description broken in Ticket Form

This is what I got when I tried to submit a ticket. The preview screen also didn't show an description field. Not sure if anything made it into RT.

Attached Files:

8. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Hello Claco,

We are aware of the issue with sumbitting a ticket and currently are working on it. It will be fixed soon. As a workaround now you can submit a ticket without description, and then reply to the automatic e-mail message you will get with addition information.

9. spiffey

spiffey Junior Member

Me too, for the record …

I upgraded to the latest build (v4 3810) today and I, too, am still having problems with the smart mount feature. I have aliases to frequently-used servers on my Mac desktop, and when I booted up the latest version, Parallels once again tried to mount all these drives on the Mac desktop (despite some being unavailable), and despite smart mount being turned OFF.

I'm using a fully-patched Tiger (v 10.4.11) on an iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, and over 150Gb free hard drive space. I upgraded from the latest build of version 3 (build 5626).

10. ninjamonk

ninjamonk Bit poster

yesterdays upgrade has also slowed my windows machine badly.

it was running great and now is dog slow.

my mac is a mac book pro 2.2 with 4 gig of ram.

is there anyway of rolling back? this has completely ruined a days work for me and I am not happy at the QA of this.

11. ninjamonk

ninjamonk Bit poster

my issue above has been solved by taking 3d accelerartion off and smart mount

12. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

I tried this and it didn't help. Still sluggish performance. Suggestions?

13. John@Parallels

14. aa.

aa. Member

claco, please try the following:

1. go to the Configure -> Hardware -> CPU
    enable "Show advanced settings"

2. Add the "kernel.real_mode_vtx=0" system flag (without quotes)

15. PetrusP

PetrusP Bit poster

I also had this very same issue after upgrading to parallels 4 and snow leopard. kernel.real_mode_vtx=0 trick solved my problems.