Can't connect to MSSQL server in PD4

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jamus, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jamus

jamus Bit poster

I use software that connects to a SQL server using the computer name (e.g. \\SERVER\). I was able to connect with no issues in Parallels 3 but I can't connect to it in 4.0 (3810). I have the VM set up to use Bridged Networking using the Parallels Shared Networking Adapter and Parallels set to Shared Networking and acting as a DHCP server. I even tried to forward the specific ports used by my software in the parallels networking server but to no avail. Any ideas?

Right now I'm connected through a VPN but I know the network works correctly because I can control the computer I need to connect to though RDC using an internal IP.

Thanks!

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I am not sure I got this:
    "
    I have the VM set up to use Bridged Networking using the Parallels Shared Networking Adapter and Parallels set to Shared Networking and acting as a DHCP server.
    "
    There is either Bridged Ethernet mode, or Shared Networking

3. jamus

jamus Bit poster

There are two configuration settings, one for Parallels in general and one for the VM. So I navigate to Parallels->Preferences...->Network->Connection Type and have Shared Networking selected. I also have Bridged Networking selected in Virtual Machine->Configure...->Network Adapter 1 and chose the "Parallels Shared Networking Adapter" option.

4. John@Parallels

In second step select Bridged Ethernet, and assign IP to VM based on your real subnet, in this case VM will be visiable as Real PC in network

5. jamus

jamus Bit poster

There isn't an option to manually assign an IP address to my VM. I tried to do it from within windows but that broke my network connections. The second attached image is the prefernce pane I was trying to make the change in. Its the VM configure menu. Picture one shows the options I get when I select the type of Bridged connection I want to make.

Are you asking me to assign an IP in Parallels->Preferences...->Network->Connection Type?

-James

Attached Files:

6. John@Parallels

Parallels->Preferences...->Network->Connection Type this doesn't affect particular VM,
    the all stuff is that connection to MSSQL is bidirectional, you need to assign correct IP to your VM when it is in Bridged Ethernet, you can left setting in this mode to be assigned manually , if there is a DHCP server or router in your network