MacPro and Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cgntoonartist, Jan 11, 2009.

1. cgntoonartist

cgntoonartist Junior Member

Hello,

When I install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 via Parallels Desktop, it won't let me run it.
    It says:
    "Virtual PC is incompatible with the physical processor in this computer. Virtual PC requires at least a Pentium II ( or equivalent ) processor.

I am on a MacPro running Mac OSX 10.5.6. 2 GB of RAM and 1TB hard drive with lots of free space.
    I am running Vista Ultimate with my Parallels Desktop 4.0.

My MacPro has a 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor. So I know it has more power than a Pentium II.

How do I fix this so that I can run Microsoft Virtual PC on my Mac Pro?

Thanks!

2. cgntoonartist

Please help! Thanks.

3. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

Are you trying to run a VM inside a VM? . I doubt highly that would work. If it did, it probably wouldn't work well. Virtual PC not an Operating System, but a Virtualization Product.

4. cgntoonartist

I am basically treating Windows Vista with Parallels the way I would treat Windows Vista on a PC machine.

5. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

You cannot run Microsoft Virtual PC on your Mac Pro.
    What you try to do is to run Virtual PC on your Vista which runs inside a VM hosted on your Mac Pro.
    That won't probably work, just as trying to run Virtual PC in a virtual machine created by Virtual PC on a real PC wouldn't work either.
    Now, if you boot your Mac natively in Windows Vista (BootCamp), then you CAN install and run Virtual PC on it.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Virtual PC requires hipervisor, which is already intercepted by virtualization processor,
    If you want to run virtualization software try Virtuozzo
    http://www.parallels.com/products/virtuozzo/

Note, you need to uninstall Parallels Tools

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009