no 9600gt in vista??

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kmx01r1, Jan 9, 2009.

1. kmx01r1

kmx01r1 Bit poster

Hey guys, and gals. new to the forum and to a mac, and have done searches but can not find anything.

I have the MACBOOK PRO 2.53 4gb and 9400/9600gt with parallels loaded and the mac side in the 9600gt setting, I can only access the 9400 on the windows side? Is it not supported in Parallels? I tried the driver from Nvidia, but can not get it to work with Parallels. Even the configure will only go to 256 on the video and no option for the 9600 card installed.

thanks for the help

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In virtual machine, you have virtual video card, not your real Video card
    Please note, if you install drivers, you may corrupt VM

3. kmx01r1

kmx01r1 Bit poster

Does this mean that I can not access the 9600 in the VM just the 9400? do I need to install the vm while it is in the 9600 mode for the VM to recognize it?
    thanks again.

4. John@Parallels

In any way you cannot access features of real Video card ,in VM it is virtual video card

5. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

You should not access either of the physical cards.

Only use the virtual card, otherwise you either corrupt your VM or screw up your display big time.

6. kmx01r1

kmx01r1 Bit poster

I use a high rendering cad program called Cabinet Vision, and need the graphics of the faster card. Can I use bootcamp and use the faster card then?

sorry for such the nobe questions.

7. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Boot camp *might* be able to access the faster card.

I'm not sure how Apple handled the 2 video cards hooked up to one display under other OSs.

If you try it, post back here as to if it worked... I'm kind of interested in the answer to that question as well but I don't have a recent enough Macbook Pro to try it.

Maybe you should try this question on the apple forums? (Parallels does not make boot camp...)

8. John@Parallels

Parallels can use Boot Camp as VM, but for now it is not possible to pass real device to VM