3810 no good!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by manfredell, Jan 12, 2009.

1. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

I've never had problems with PD 4 (also betas). 3540 run fine.

I have big problems with the latest "hotfix" 3810!!!

When resuming my XP VM it takes AGES for it to become responsive. I have uninstalled and reinstalled tools etc. The problem stays.

I have reverted to 3540 and it resumes as it always has and becomes responsive immediately.

I have filed a bug report already without getting an answer.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

After reverting to 3540 all was OK. To prove the above I reinstalled 3810 updated tools and again have the problem with SLOOOOOWWWWW VM after resuming.
    reverting again back to 3540 with respective tools and resuming is instantaneous.

3. gordonprice67

gordonprice67 Bit poster

Revert? Or just reinstall?

Is there a mechanism to truly "revert" to the older build? Or do you just reinstall?

I have done performance testing using Passmark's Performance Test 6.1, as well as some timed scripts for Autodesk Revit, and 3810 is a few percentage points slower than the previous build, and PD4 is slower than PD3 in both tests, by an even larger margin. Of course the integration in PD4 is much better, so I will likely not downgrade all the way back to PD3. But a simple way to revert to the previous build, including reverting all VMs, would be a welcome alternative to the reinstall and rebuild all VMs that I am contemplating. Next time I back those VMs up before I upgrade! ;)

Thanks,
    Gordon

4. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Uninstall the current build, reboot, reinstall the older build. When you start the VM it will reinstall the tools.

3810 is a BIG disappointment.

5. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

manfredell,

Do you mean that it is slow "forever" or just for some time
    (not there is a small icon in the lower part of VM windows - called 'data sync...').

Is VM still slow when this icon dissapears?

Regards,
    Max

6. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

When XP resumes in 3540 the UI becomes responsive immediately: I can open programs, folders etc.
    The same in 3810: the UI is unresponsive for minutes, even the clock synch takes 30secs-1min. Trying to open a folder is slow.... screen redraws slow. Unworkable. This stays for many minutes until eventually it will become more responsive.

There is no data-synch going on!

7. gordonprice67

gordonprice67 Bit poster

Performance data

For what it is worth, I am doing two performance tests, all on an early 2008 MBP. I am using Passmark's Performance Test 6.1 for an overall benchmark, and a benchmark script for Autodesk Revit to look at some more "real world" numbers. For both benchmarks I have averaged 5 runs, with a reboot of the VM between runs. The Windows installs are default installs, with nothing extra running besides the benchmark and whatever Windows has going on. The only thing running on the Mac besides PD4 is Activity Monitor. Revit is a high end resource hog Architectural design package with some (rather poorly implemented) openGL acceleration, but mostly just a CPU and RAM hog.

On the Passmark test, the new build of PD4 shows a 10% performance hit. On the Revit benchmark the new build shows a 5% performance hit. Again, for what it is worth PD3 was faster even than the previous build of PD4 on both tests, but I need to dig up old data to verify by how much.

Needless to say, seeing a performance hit with PD4 was not happy making, and seeing a further performance hit with the 3810 build was more of a bummer.

If the raw data would be of use to the developers let me know and I can post.

Thanks,
    Gordon

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In terminal run
    prl_perf_ctl -a -l 5
    for 30 seconds during test and post output here

9. eplantz

eplantz Bit poster

I agree... 3810 is a bummer. It is SLOW(!) to enable the VM after resuming..... it can up 5 minutes before any work is possible. Just not responsive. I'm going to revert now as this is impossible to work with.

10. biglar

biglar Pro

Not all have problems: For example my Imac with Windows XP Home is much faster and very stable. Best version and speed yet!

11. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Thanks for confirming this!

I have reverted now 2 times after having tried upgrading again. Always updating Ptools.
    The problem is without doubt with 3810!!!

12. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

IMHO not all must have problems for this "update" to be problematic! They obviously broke something here.

13. DonLeckie

DonLeckie Bit poster

Here is the prl_perf_ctl test results.

Performed on a Mac Pro with 2 2.8GHz Xeon Quad processors and 18GB RAM.

Attached Files:

14. BSartist

BSartist Member

I just installed 3810 as an upgrade straight from V3 (i.e. I had not installed any earlier V4 so I can only compare 3810 with V3).

Windows bootup takes much longer than before and the disk seems to be going nuts while it is booting. Shutdown seems to take awhile too. I have not tried suspend/resume yet. I had multiple processors enabled initially and thought it was even SLOWER so I dropped back. I will have to do some more experimentation.

I am running an 8 core Mac Pro with 8GB RAM.

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Would you please create ticket in support we can check it closer,
    Also please submit report from Help - Report a Problem and put it in ticket subject