Graphics Performance?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ProLost, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ProLost

ProLost Bit poster

I don't see much chatter here about graphics performance, so I thought I'd ask. The only thing holding me back from Parallels (as opposed to Bootcamp) is the 8MB video card thing. I intend to run graphics-intensive apps like Fusion and Maya.

Anyone have any experience with high-end graphics apps under Parallels?

Thanks in advance,

-Stu

--
    www.theorphanage.com
    prolost.blogspot.com

2. ciprol

ciprol Junior Member

I don't think PD was designed for high end graphics apps or gamers. You can try though. :)

3. TomS

TomS Bit poster

Hmmm

To be honest I can't understand why you would run apps like Maya. Just for the curiosity it would be okay, but since there is Maya on the Mac you shouldn't considering using anything else. Maya is a great apps that is running very nice on the Mac.
    Hopefully the next release will be UB and we all will be very happy. But besides that running graphic intense app with Parallels isn't a good idea.

4. mahortom

mahortom Bit poster

Check well and you'll find at least some answers to your question. Anyway... graphic intensive apps are not advised under Parallels at least in this release even if only 2D related. I've been reading bad posts about Autocad in 2D (3D is even not considered). I should then believe that Maya (and Fusion, for others) should be run wherever you want but in native form. I posted somwehere bechmarks results for graphics performance but using programs is another life than benchmarks. If you still have doubts the only thing to do is to try. Whatever the result it's on your own choice to continue or not. Feedbacks are, of course, appreciated.

majortom

PS: other virtualization apps are underwayto be released in a very near future

5. irelandshope

irelandshope Junior Member

3D Autocad working great

I wrote a thread about my experience with 3D Autocad in Parallels and its working great.
    See the thread its called "3D AutoCad & Architectural Desktop 2006 Works Perfectly"
    Check it out.

6. bgose

bgose Member

I'm running SolidWorks 2007 with some success. Everything's working properly, just slow with the video stuff.

I think I'm going to make a new topic asking if we could install an additional graphics card & monitor. Seems to me we could force Windows through a Parallels driver to only access the aux video card and thereby get the hardware graphics support the CAD guys need.

Hmmm???