Coherence Mode Not Available

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by icarus1701, Dec 6, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

When you decide to try one more time, please create ticket in support

2. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

Ticket no 21826

3. John@Parallels

I submitted case to developers

4. trancehed

trancehed Bit poster

I think the problem for me came down to an issue during the conversion of the P3 hdd file into the P4 one. I deleted the converted file and reinstalled again and it re-backed up and converted and it seems to be working fine.

5. jonda

jonda Bit poster

Any more development on this?

Hi everyone! I got hit with this bug as well.

I have an windows xp image that, for some reason, cannot go into coherence mode. It was working on parallels v3 but for some reason, v4 isnt being cooperative.
    I also have a windows vista image that works in coherence mode without a problem.

Thanks!
    -Jay

6. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

No solution yet. In fact I have this posted in another thread as well that STim was working both STim & John have gone radio silent even after repeated requests

7. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Just in case you have not yet tried this... It worked for me, you could also be lucky!

I had a problem with Coherence not working, this also prevented the Host resolution from adjusting itself to match the window size , leaving black bars around the Host display if the window was made larger. I found that when I looked in the Host (Windows XP) Control Panel\System\Hardware that there were exclamation marks against the Intel AGP and PCI bridge entries, I deleted those, then scanned for changes and after the drivers for these were found from my Windows XP install disk, I rebooted and the Parallels Video 'card' was detected, the drivers were loaded and Coherence then worked, along with the Host resolution adjusting itself as the window is re-sized.

8. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

This worked perfectly. Thanks much for the help

9. John@Parallels

If you decide to try it again, please let us know, we can check situation

10. jreed

jreed Bit poster

I have this same problem. When I loaded Parallels it wanted the installation CD to load a video driver. I bypassed that and now realize that I probably made a mistake. I don't find video under devices in Parallels. I do have the disk and I suspect this is my problem. How do I get back to load the device the device driver.

11. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Try looking in: (Windows) Control Panel>System>Hardware , then simply highlight the current Video (display?) section and delete it. If you have any other items which show a yellow exclamation mark, delete those too (the AGP bridge and PCI bridge were two items causing my Windows install to play up). Then either, reboot Windows, or click the icon with a magnifying glass to scan for changes. This will cause Windows to detect and hopefully search for, or request the original Windows install disk containing the drivers.

12. jreed

jreed Bit poster

Thanks to mkstevo and others

I took mkstevo's suggestion to go to controls>system>hardware and discovered that there were two versions of the parallels keyboard one of which had an exclamation point. I deleted that one. Once I shut down Parallels and restarted, the virtual machine came up in coherence mode. In this case the problem was unrelated to the video. It appears that there are several devices associated with coherence mode and that any one of them could be the culprit.

Thanks to mkstevo. This appears to be a good place to start if you have coherence problems.

13. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

I seem to recall reading elsewhere on the forum that a failed mouse driver (again showing the yellow exclamation mark), within Control panel > System > Hardware also caused trouble with Coherence, which once deleted (and the machine restarted) cured his Coherence problems.

I suppose deleting any items in the Control panel > System > Hardware listing could require you to reinstall Parallels Tools, and/or drivers from your original Windows install disk.

14. John@Parallels

Yes, you are correct, for now Coherence checks for mouse also

15. smirking

smirking Bit poster

Look for the Yellow Exclaimation Marks

I had this exact same problem and I had one of those festive yellow exclaimation marks next to my Parallels Mouse Adapter mouse driver in Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Drivers.

I had two mouse drivers by the same name. One of them had the yellow exclaimation mark. I deleted that one.

I also manually updated the other driver that remained. That was a mistake. It turned that driver into a Microsoft PS/2 Mouse driver instead of a Parallels Mouse Adapter. I rolled that back, the Parallels Mouse Adapter driver came back, I restarted, and it works fine now.