Change MAC-Adress

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by img, Jun 24, 2006.

1. img

img Bit poster

Hi Guys!

i have a problem with parallels tools,
    my premier OS is Mac OS-X and i emulated my windows xp with parallels.
    In my network-enviroment theres a MAC-Adresse-filter, this effects that every mac-adress has to be unlocked with a linked ip-adress on the router.

my mac-adress for my mac-osx is activated, now i have the prob that parallels gives the emulated network-adapter called parallels network adapter a new virtual MAC-Adress, this adress is not activatet by the router, so i cant go online with my windows.

theres no way to activate a second mac-adress, so my question is:

how can i change or emule the mac-adress createt by parallels in my windows xp?

hope you guys understand what my problem is :)

greetings img

2. bartho

bartho Member

You are aware, of course, of the setting Configuration --> Network Adapter --> MAC Address. However, if your problem is that you can only connect one NIC to your router, you shouldn't be changing the MAC addresses. Instead you should configure OSX to act as a router, and then let the guest OS access Internet via OSX.

It is a very bad idea to let two computers have the same MAC-address.

3. img

img Bit poster

oh thanks! this was the option i searched for!

why is it a bad idea to give both adapters the same mac.adress?

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Because some DHCP servers use the MAC address to determine which IP to assign and thus will assign the same IP to the host and the VM.

Both the MAC address and the computer name should differ between the host and VM since some routers use computer name to identify the machine and assign an IP.

Sometimes computers aren't very intuitive.

5. mimi

mimi Member

MAC address must be unique

MAC address must be unique at least in one ethernet segment, since ethernet packets are sent based on the MAC address.

I think your solution would be:
    1) register your VM's MAC address to your network admin. Or,
    2) use OSX as a router for your VM.

6. ilovemacs

ilovemacs Junior Member

How do you use OSX as a router for the VM? Option 1 should be easier :p, but where I work it takes at least two weeks for the schmucks to give access.

7. mimi

mimi Member

This has been explained in the thread: http://forum.parallels.com/thread1877.html .

I think the "Host-Only Network with Internet Sharing" mode is relevant for this particular purpose.