USB 2.0 Micro Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by davem, Jun 20, 2006.

1. davem

davem Bit poster

Hi

I couldn't send this in to your technical support team as I'm still using the trial version, so I'll post here in the hope that someone from Parallels will read this...

I know you are still working on implementation of USB support in Parallels but thought I'd add my report for your information.

I am unable to mount a 4GB Imation USB 2.0 Micro Hard Drive in Windows XP Pro with Parallels Desktop for Mac. I tried connecting it to a 7-port (Belkin) USB hub, then directly to one of my MacBook's USB ports. I then discovered that Parallels is shipped with USB Controller's "Autoconnect USB devices" set to "Off" by default. After switching this to "On", the new hardware was recognised and enabled both times. It was listed in Device Manager as "Imation USBmicrodrive4GB USB Device" under "Disk drives" rather than under "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Double-clicking on its Device Manager listing shows that it is working properly in 'Device status'. However, it was not listed as an attached device in My Computer.

I next tried selecting it as an additional hard drive in Parallel's start up panel, with 3500 MB allocated. This time it was recognised on start up of Windows XP as a new IDE device and it was listed in Device Manager in the "Disk drives" section as Virtual HDD [2]. Double-clicking on its Device Manager listing shows that it is working properly in 'Device status'. Again, despite this, it does not appear anywhere on My Computer, so is not usable.

Hopefully USB support will improve soon, at which time I will certainly buy.

2. davem

davem Bit poster

My trial license expires on 1 July 2006. Anyone know if I will be able to apply for a new trial license, if the next Parallels update is released after this date?

3. detayls

detayls Junior Member

Buy a copy!!

Dave,

Is that the legendary Scottish frugality that we are seeing?

Open your sporran, Man! Those pound notes are all tattered and worn. They need to be spent soon!

;) ;)

David (born in Glasgow in 1951)

4. davem

davem Bit poster

Hi David

LOL! Yup, that's what it is alright. Gotta give some incentive to the Parallels team after all. I hope to hand over my tattered and torn greenbacks to them soon. :)

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Hope you all come back and visit us from time to time.

5. davem

davem Bit poster

I guess not. I uninstalled the previous version and installed the recent beta release (1862) but when I opened this I still received the message "Your trial activation key has expired." Pity. How are we supposed to check if new versions are worth buying if we can't try them out first?